Strange characters

This topic is 5435 days old. Please don't post here. Open a new topic instead.

• Newbies

Hi.

I have made a connection between our Filemaker database (FM10) and a MYSQL database (website)

Everything seems to work ok. I can add new records to the MYSQL, remove them, modify and update them. The problem happens when data is visualized on the web, as strange characters appear. The website programmer requires that the text fields should be exported from FM as UTF8 but I don't know how to accomplish this.

here's what I get:

http://rosazul.com/index.php?page=test

anybody could help? Thanks,

rosazul

You export as UTF-8 by selecting 'Unicode (UTF-8)' as the output file character set in the export dialog. I am not sure how the data source being external affects this - perhaps you should try importing the data into a native Filemaker table and see what you get. It would also help to know which file format you are exporting.

A hint to your web programmer: black text on dark gray background is not the best choice.

Strange characters could mean a driver issue. Especially if they only show up in data you enter in FM.

Test it against data that is entered directly into MySQL. See if the strange characters still appear.

• Newbies

Hi

In reply to comment:

I prefer to enter text data into FileMaker. Exporting to UTF-8 in a file. Csv and then imported into MYSQL works fine.

In reply to jmormond:

I have reviewed all the possibilities of the connector odbc (v 2.9d Actual ODBC Pack for Mac OS X) and the characters always go wrong.

Thank you very much for your responses.

Any idea?

rosazulconcerts

Look at the data directly in MySQL, are the strange characters appearing there?

If yes, what version of MySQL are you using?

In no, then the problem is not your ESS link or driver. It most likely falls on your Web Developer. Check the fonts, missing characters in the character set can cause strange behavior. Also, check the style sheet. If run that page through the Google Translator, those characters disappear. That gives me an idea that it may be something in the html coding or style sheet that is giving you the problem.

• Newbies

Hi

Already solved the problem

The web master tells me:

"The problem is that the MySQL database and PHP is by default connected in Swedish (MYSQL is Swedish), regardless of the contents of the database, if all connections are made in Swedish no problem, but if one did not is in Swedish, such as FileMaker is forcing SET NAMES utf8."

Thank you very much for your cooperation and apologize for the delay.

rosazulconcerts

This topic is 5435 days old. Please don't post here. Open a new topic instead.