Server Maintenance This Week. ×

Tools or Technique for upgrading code into a delivered client solution

This topic is 5413 days old. Please don't post here. Open a new topic instead.

I delivered phase 1 of my product to the client and they are entering data into the FM database. But I will have several code changes coming up that I need to apply to the existing version. This would include new layouts, script changes and new scripts, new script triggers, value lists, new TOs and tables.

I know that FM has a DDR tool that can be used to export a snapshot of the system. But are there any tools that can compare (diff) 2 DDRs and point out the differences? And better yet to be able to merge those differences.

I know that one can import scripts and new databases, but the process all seem very manual.

I come from the Java development world and its very frustrating to me not to be able to easily upgrade existing solutions to a new code base. Part of this has to do with the tying of the database to the code in one single FM file. But there still could be developer tools to make this so its not a manual nightmare - at least I hope :

Noob FM Developer, waiting for advice and suggestions.

I did find this but it does not cover scripts and I have alot of code in scripts as I use an FMSQL plugin

http://www.newmillennium.com/index.php?src=directory&view=products&srctype=display&id=72

The other option would be to just developer the new code base and then just import in all the data from the existing solution. However, I see problems with this if field names are changed or table occurances renamed, but can't think of any other gotchas.

Looks like this tool could help with this option, anyone have comments or experience with it:

http://www.goya.com.au/UpdateManager

Edited by Guest

All that is MISSING from YOUR FILE is the CLIENT DATA.

Import the data from the clients file into your file and then re-supply your file to the client. If the client is using FM Server then you could do this all on-line.

Ideally you should script this as you may want to do it again and again.

Alternatively, read up on the 'separation model'.

This promotes the GUI and DATA into 2 separate files. However if you are still adding tables and fields then you still have to upgrade BOTH files.

Thats kind of what I thought. The only issue I can see is with the import of container fields. But with container fields I am only using the file references so I hope those can be exported and imported.

The other tips I saw in some post in this forum was to write a script called PrepareForUpdate that would cycle thru all the layouts doing a Show all records since this needs to be done prior to an export and import.

I have some preferences tables also that I might update on the development side but not want to import, so I would assume this would all have to be scripted and everytime I add a new table that I should create a new export and import script.

Are there any tools that can automate this import/export procedure. That is, it will go thru your app. and allow you to check off every table you want to export and then remember those settings and do the show all records before the exports?

What are the best practices for implementing a solution like this? For example do I export every table into a separate file and is that a CSV file.

• 3 weeks later...

How does one script this?

Do I need to have a layout for every table that I need to export data from and do all fields need to be present on that screen?

I am thinking that if these are all exported as CSV files to same directory that I can just then open up the version I am working with that is clear of all data and just have the script import in all the files.

Someone have a sample code they can sure to get my head around this.

This topic is 5413 days old. Please don't post here. Open a new topic instead.