Server Maintenance This Week. ×

Import .xls issues once in runtime

This topic is 5422 days old. Please don't post here. Open a new topic instead.

I created my runtime app. I have a script in the FM10 version that pulls data from an .xls file with about 20 different tabs categorized for each type of product that I use. Everything works great until I convert to a runtime App.

Once in the run time the .xls cant be found and when I manually select it I have to do it for each tab inside it.

How can I set this up so when I zip my run time and send to another user the inventory list will be in the right spot and they wont need to worry about finding it or setting it up.

Any Suggestions?

"Once in the run time the .xls cant be found."

How are you setting the path for the import file? I just posted a demo in another thread that shows an upgrade to runtime routine I've built. Perhaps it'll help you with this.

I attached the script to show its easier that way. Since every computer is set up diff should I attach the master inventory list inside the folder with the run time? But I still think they are manually going to have to find the .xls when they open it up.

For example say I sent you my run time app and it needed to use masterinventory.xls to update the inventory. Obviously you would have your own inventory data but for the script to pick up the correct file and tabs. How does that work so you wouldn't have to search for it and set it up?

I saw you example and I get the file selection box but I am wanting it automated to where the user doesn't have to select anything it just uses the correct file.

I use the tabs as there are 100's of different items that are updated daily for each tab. without them it would be a cluster fudge. Otherwise I would just list them on one tab and be done with it.

sample-script.jpg

I don't understand the workflow. Here are my questions:

1. Why are you shipping data external to FM at all? Why not ship the runtime with the inventory data already imported?

2. You say "Obviously you would have your own inventory data", but the script you posted deletes ALL records in the table.

3. What is the purpose of the excel file? Is it an export from another system (daily)? The multiple tabs does complicate the import a bit. How often will a user receive a new excel file? Why excel?

4. Does the excel file name change daily? If not, how does the user distinguish versions?

1. The inventory will differ depending on which facility uses it. The tabs will be different names

2. No the delete searched records is clearing out any blank records which get imported into FM from the .xls file. I have list controls active in the .xls so if there are blank rows inside the list perametors then it uploads blank. Instead of explaining this to 20 diff people over and over I figured the auto clearing was the easiest method.

3. Purpose is On Hand Qtys - We use it for auditing oh hand qtys. FM is used for our operators to submit reports only. Its pulls from .xls for on hand items to chose from in DB. Its matched to our levels in MS Dynamics once our usage is entered and purchase orders are placed daily.

Inside the FMDB there is an update inventory which is the manual way to update the fm inventory list and it is also set to auto update when it opens. Excel because thats what everyone uses. The FM is strictly for operators to record reports so I can see specifics without digging thru files. Example each record has about 6 tabs worth of data between items used counted, used on what, margin errors, etc. Its very very very detailed and the paperwork looks like a book when the job is completed and using FM save me time from searching thru files trying to find one thing. Basically I will be able to sit my lazy bum and find what I need. Sad but true.

4. No it does not. The same file is updated daily though. Each facility has a diff file with diff tabs. But the fm for each facility will be set to pull the correct file with the correct tabs before its sent to the Operator manager for the operators to use.

5. I want to set it up for each of my facilities so they can just open it add the data to the inventory list and go to town. However when the file is converted to RT it has to re-find the .xls file and each tab and I love my guys but some of them will not be able to figure it out. I hope that's a little clearer and I didn't miss anything.

Edited by Guest

Update: I added the .xls file to the main folder where the run time icon is located and everything worked perfect. No pop ups asking to locate the file or anything. Tested it several different ways and works fine.

However not sure why or how to reset it but I assume you cant. I just cant figure out how it knows to look in that folder.

This topic is 5422 days old. Please don't post here. Open a new topic instead.