Filemaker database to SQL

This topic is 5425 days old. Please don't post here. Open a new topic instead.

• Newbies

Hi All,

I am new to File maker database. Actually I need to export the data from File Maker to SQL, I tried using export option from file menu but it exports me

only to csv/excel files.

1)How Can I export to SQL database?

2)I thought of developing an C#.NET application which transfers data from FM database to SQL database, if you find this as good option how do I connect through ODBC ?

3)Or Do I have to program in FIlemaker script like

we do in Access database with VB Script?

I am using FileMaker 7 and also 10.

Can anyone say easier way to do this?

With the right setup you can these days (FM9 plus I think) put SQL tables in to the FileMaker relationships graph, make layouts of them and do ordinary FileMaker 'set field' etc on them.

Alternatively you can write a little FileMaker script that loops through all the records and does an "Execute SQL" script step, the syntax of which is along the lines of INSERT INTO (whatever).

Hope that helps.

James

I have the same problem. External data source is properly set up, Oracle database is added as table and joined through relationship to FM table. And data from Oracle is possible to view through portal.

Executing SQL script I have screen message:

"ODBC Error: [Oracle][ODBC][Ora]ORA-00942: table or view does not exist"

ODBC source is properly choosed (in Execute SQL script). ODBC in Windows XP is tested and OK.

My Execute SQL is the same as it works in Oracle:

INSERT INTO Oracle_table_name (Field1, Field2)

SELECT FileMaker_table_name.Field1, FileMaker_table_name.Field2

FROM FileMaker_table_name;

What is wrong? Does FileMaker support only VIEW of Oracle data? What is purpose of Execute SQL when this doesn't work? System message is information that FileMaker even cannot 'see' Oracle table.

Please, if somebody can help.

The error you are getting sounds like something amiss with the configuration of the Oracle database.

First thing I would eliminate is permissions: try it with a full-privileges username on the Oracle database. I realise the error doesn't actually describe a permissions problem, but often "x does not exist" really means "you're not allowed x".

I think in this context "view" doesn't mean 'read only', it refers to a shorthand collection of fields (perhaps from multiple SQL tables) which are assembled in to one easy-to-use grouping. (The closest FileMaker analogy I can come up with at this time of night is that a view is quite similar to a saved export order.)

Hope that helps.

James

As I stated to you in the other forum:

The issue is not the INSERT INTO. It is the SELECT because FileMaker does not understand what you mean by SELECTING the FileMaker records.

Try doing a single insert such as:

INSERT INTO Oracle_table_name (Field1,Field2) VALUES ('Mickey', 'Mouse')

If that works, then try doing a scripted version:

Set Variable [ $sq; "[color:red]'"] //single quote

Execute SQL [ "INSERT INTO Oracle_table_name (Field1,Field2) VALUES (" & $sq & field1 & $sq & "," & $sq & field2 & $sq & ")" // where field1 and field2 are the FileMaker fields

If that works, then you can just loop through your FileMaker found set.

Another option is considering that you are using ESS, you could just use FileMaker's Set Field with some variables.

This topic is 5425 days old. Please don't post here. Open a new topic instead.