Server Maintenance This Week. ×

Converting from Global Fields

This topic is 5402 days old. Please don't post here. Open a new topic instead.

I have a solution that has come along from FM4 through FM6, FM7, and I am looking at moving it to FM10.

When I converted to 7, I rebuilt the structure to use the separation model, which was a major undertaking on its own. Consequently, I wasn't ready to try eliminating the many global fields I had. What I did was to move all the global fields into a Globals table in the UI file.

Since I've never been a fan of global variables, I am now looking at eliminating as many of the 115 global fields as I can and replacing them with script variables (or other tricks).

My question is: does anyone have a principled method of converting them over? I am concerned that I will miss a reference to one of the globals and send out a package that only breaks when the user tries to do something obscure (that I had forgotten about).

I thought about just deleting the variables and then looking for all the entries in a DDR. But that seems a little chancy (which global got used where?)...

I thought about iterating through a cycle where I create a DDR, change all the references I can find for one variable, re-running the DDR and checking again. But this really seems like a long and arduous process.

I am having a tough time with this also because (in my infinite wisdom, ha ha) I used lots of short scripts that focused on simpler tasks, and then stored the results of each little script in a Global, which the next little script would use. So, keeping track of where all the variables gets used is confusing to me on the best days...

If anyone has advice, suggestions, or encouragement to offer me, I would relly appreciate it. As it stands, I keep putting this off for other things (like repainting the house).

Thanks,

David

Hi David.

If you have a tool such as BaseElements, it may help.

I would start by looking at all the global fields you use on layouts for entry, global used in any relationship key, and calcs based on the globals.

The rest that are left you would have to evaluate and systematically replace...

Sounds like you got a fun task ahead of you. :

This topic is 5402 days old. Please don't post here. Open a new topic instead.