ODBC Filter Records

This topic is 5408 days old. Please don't post here. Open a new topic instead.

I am still trying to get a handle on this relationship between Filemaker and an ODBC data source. I have the connection between the two running fine. I am actually using 3 external sources to compile the information in my database. The question I have is, one of the sources (clients) has about 382 records in it. Some are "active" and some not. Is there a way to filter the records actually being received before they are seen in Filemaker. Be it known that its a live or through a “static” ODBC import. Does this have to be done on the server side first. I dont want to have to create a "filtered find" script for all the clients.

There are some the users just dont need to see. Plus, there are inventory items associated with the clients that need not be show in the other database as well. This has about 12,500+ total records, but would be significantly reduced if the client to inventory relationship is changed.

For overall purposes, is this really the best way to use the ODBC external data? Currently it is data that is being used by clients on the internet placing orders and updating data consistantly. Users will eventually need to make very modest changes to the ODBC database information from inside Filemaker at some time. (ie: quantities and/or warehouse bin location.

Using find features in side filemaker can be long and cumbersom especially searching the three external ODBC databases.

Please let me know what you have found is the best of these two to use. -Thanks

The question I have is, one of the sources (clients) has about 382 records in it. Some are "active" and some not. Is there a way to filter the records actually being received before they are seen in Filemaker.

Yes use a view that only contains "active" rows and/or modify your import SQL statment with a where clause.

For overall purposes, is this really the best way to use the ODBC external data? Currently it is data that is being used by clients on the internet placing orders and updating data consistantly. Users will eventually need to make very modest changes to the ODBC database information from inside Filemaker at some time. (ie: quantities and/or warehouse bin location.

That all really depends on your business needs. ESS was not created with the intention of being a FULL front end to the ESS source table.

Using find features in side filemaker can be long and cumbersom especially searching the three external ODBC databases.

Indexing the source fields and restricting the number of fields through views will significantly enhance performance.

This topic is 5408 days old. Please don't post here. Open a new topic instead.