Server Maintenance This Week. ×

Files Folders to FileMaker

This topic is 5339 days old. Please don't post here. Open a new topic instead.

This is an example file which can get the files (and optionally) folders of a chosen folder. It can then optionally Insert them into a container field, using [x] As reference only.

I wanted to get both the size of the files and the dates. I have done this with regular AppleScript, and it works, but is kind of slow; very slow if the folder is large (thousands of files). This one uses Unix commands, in a do shell script, and is many times faster (my entire Home folder, 77,820 lines, in 4 seconds; this is just writing the text file; new computer :-).

There are cons however. It does not handle "files" which are actually folders as expected; like "rtfd". It sees them as a folder with files, and imports each file separately. Not sure what to do about that. But these are still somewhat rare.

The original AppleScript is included, for reference, or for testing. But it is also in the FileMaker file, in a Perform AppleScript step(s).

(Oh, one last thing. I did the file sizes (bytes to KB) by dividing by 1024. Snow Leopard seems to have slightly different idea about what it shows; it's always a little bit more.)

Files_Folders_to_FM_AS.zip

Edited by Guest

This topic is 5339 days old. Please don't post here. Open a new topic instead.