Server Maintenance This Week. ×

Cross Platform container export

This topic is 5325 days old. Please don't post here. Open a new topic instead.

I am running server 10 advanced on a windows server2003 network with mostly windows clients running FMP 10. I have a little file that serves up some PDF documents from a shared network folder. The path to these files is stored and a calculation field that results in a container.

The solution will copy a pdf from the network folder to the users temporary directory and open for them to view.

Until recently there was only a need for the solution to work in a windows environment but it has become necessary to modify the solution to also work with Mac clients. I have bought a mac mini running os 10.5.8 to use in development and testing. I think I have successfully binded it to my windows2003 domain as I can log onto it with my network user name and password and I can see most of the other computers and can in fact open the folder where the PDF files I’m concerned with in this instance with the finder.

So a little bit about the solution.

I have a setup table that has a text field called path that is use to store the folder path used in the container calculation. Now I have added a second filed called PathMac that holds the mac path.

eFilesSetUp::efilePath = filwin://FileServ/T_Drive/e-files/

eFilesSetUp::efilePathmac = filemac://FileServ/T_Drive/e-files/

In the main table I have a text filed called filename that stores the filename and a calc field called container with the following calculation.

If(Get ( SystemPlatform ) = -2;

eFilesSetUp::efilePath & Filename;

eFilesSetUp::efilePathMac & Filename)

Using a dialog box to display the container field the results are as expected.

On a Windows Client its

filewin://FileServ/T_Drive/e-files/filename.pdf

and on Mac its

filemac://FileServ/T_Drive/e-files/filename.pdf

Im fairly certain that the script steps pertaining to the temp directory are working because at one point it was exporting the literal text of the container filed. I am assuming that at that point it did not understand the export path. Now however it errors with error 100 file is missing

I can use the finder to view the PDF files and when I use the get info command I see the following

Where /Volumes/T_Drive/e-files

Server smb://FileServ/T_Drive/e-files/filename.pdf

Thanks in advance for any help on this

The filemac: path format is wrong - there is only a SINGLE slash in filemac: paths.

The "//" only applies to Windows networks and is not available in the Mac world.

Okay - but you are still trying to create the file on the server. Try doing it locally first.

I suspect the "volume name" is wrong for the Mac environment, so do a simple test by trying to store a file FROM the server BY REFERENCE and then look at the path information for the file by using the GetAsText function.

Edited by Guest

This topic is 5325 days old. Please don't post here. Open a new topic instead.