Claris Engage 2025 - March 25-26 Austin Texas ×

Remote Server & Runtime

Greg Hains

This topic is 5413 days old. Please don't post here. Open a new topic instead.

Hi.

I have requirement to have an FmPro file open another FmPro server, but make it runtime, but cannot seem to do it. Is it possible?

I have a small Fm file that runs a script on startup that opens a file on a remote server then closes itself. This allows me to more easily distribute the startup file ("Opener" as Filemaker themselves call it).

Anybody got any ideas please?

Greg

This is an odd request, and I believe some fact is missing.

An opener file is typically used when one feels that teaching a user to launch FM and use Open Remote is too much to ask.

However, once logged into server, they need the full FM client on their workstation.

So, what is the purpose of a runtime? You cannot access a server FM File using a runtime as a client. They know this, right?

Hi BCooney,

Thankyou for your response.

Neither my client nor I knew that a runtime-solution opener would require a full copy of FmPro to access the remote copy on a server, so you have answered my question - that it's simply not possible.

Cheers,

Greg

You can open a runtime solution over a network. It will be slower, but if the solution is not too complicated, then this isn't a big deal.

However you cannot use a runtime solution to do something over the network, so an opener file is not possible.

Why don't you place an 'alias' (I believe this is called 'shortcut' on Windows) pointing to the runtime file on the network?

HTH

You can open a runtime solution over a network. It will be slower, but if the solution is not too complicated, then this isn't a big deal.

However you cannot use a runtime solution to do something over the network, so an opener file is not possible.

Why don't you place an 'alias' (I believe this is called 'shortcut' on Windows) pointing to the runtime file on the network?

HTH

No No AND No

Operating any version of FileMaker Pro over the OS file sharing layer is an invitation to both data and program corruption.

One person could use a runtime solution using some form of remote screen sharing such as Timbuktu or other VNC programs. But in that case, the program is still running on the host machine. You are just getting to watch the results remotely through screen sharing with the host.

I made several solutions which I distributed as a runtime. One of them is considerably big (6 files, 150 layouts, 250 scripts, more than 100 tables and uncountable TO's). There are more than 40 companies that bought this solution.

While I intended this solution to run on a standalone machine and recommand the users to install it in their own home directory, the reality is that most companies have Windows Small Business Server and the users' home directories are situated on a remote server.

Also some companies prefer to place the program on an application server, that way the data is maintained centrally. Of course only one person can open the program at a time.

This situation is as described for nearly ten years now. There has NEVER been any problem (at least no such problems as data and/or program corruption).

Thanks everybody.

I was trying to work it by having this file that could easily be added to visiting (limited number of course due to licensing) consultants who could execute the runtime file and access the database which resided on a remote server (fmnet://...) without having to install FmPro on the client machine - but only whilst they were visiting the office.

I thought it may be a long shot but was going to be easier than Web Publishing option which as you know has it's limitations.

Once again, all your feedback is appreciated.

Cheers,

Greg

This topic is 5413 days old. Please don't post here. Open a new topic instead.