Server Maintenance This Week. ×

Encoding problems between filemaker and MySQL

This topic is 4858 days old. Please don't post here. Open a new topic instead.

Hello all,

I'm getting into an encoding problem updating MySQL from FM using Execute SQL script step.

The mysql table has a field which charset is utf8 (utf8_uncode_ci). The field in filemaker contains a lot of characters (arabian, greek, danish..) that once written in MySQL returns only question marks (!).

I tried to use 'SET NAMES utf8' SQL statement before update record and I tried to configure ODBC driver to work with UTF8 charset by default.

Exporting the SQL statement generated from FMpro instead of Execute the query, then copying and pasting the same code into SQLyog (a GUI for MySQL) the characters are correct.. how can I set filemaker to export the proper charset to MySQL?

(FMpro adv. 10 Windows Vista)

• 1 year later...

I'm experiencing perhaps the same problem. I have an ESS (MySQL) and receive the ODBC error:

ODBC Error: [MySQL][ODBC 5.1 Driver][mysald-5.1.41-3ubuntu12.8]Incorrect string value: '\xC4\x81bh\xC4\x81...' for column 'Desc' at row 1.

Well, it seems to hate the special characters in the string, "Mahābhārata" a book title.

And so, what is the trick to successfully populated MySQLl with special characters?

tia,

Barbara

This topic is 4858 days old. Please don't post here. Open a new topic instead.