Encryption Systems - Any Experience?

Eunmi66

This topic is 8456 days old. Please don't post here. Open a new topic instead.

quote:

Originally posted by Eunmi66:

Does anyone have experience with and/or opinions of any of the encryption systems for protecting 'Runtime" solutions from piracy.

Price your solution at a level that make pirating it silly and you will not have any problems.

You could use the FMP Developer tools to strip out the structure from the bound files, or there are some plugins that allow you to protect your files.

The bottom line is that unless the actual data is sensitive to theft and the customer is willing to pay for some kind of encryption system, do not bother with any anti-piracy measures.

You will expend more resources in dealing with the anti-piracy stuff than any amount of piracy would ever have cost you.

Currently I put only the most simplistic security on my solutions, keeps the honest people honest and I do not give a wit about the criminals. Never causes me any stress and is very easy to maintain.

------------------

=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=

Kurt Knippel

Consultant

Database Resources

mailto:[email protected]

http://www.database-resources.com

=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=

Capt

Re "You could use the FMP Developer tools to strip out the structure from the bound files"

======================

Will you be so kind as to elaborate which Developer Tools and what you mean by "Stripping out the Structure"? I'm relatively new at this.

======================

"or there are some plugins that allow you to protect your files."

Can you offer any plugin names or Companies so that I can do some research?

Respectfully

Eun Mi

• 3 weeks later...
  • 2 weeks later...

I've got to disagree with the Captain. People will copy an app if only out of laziness... price is irrelevant. There are ways to protect your app, but they require work. There is a commercially available solution from New Wave (www.nwspi.com) that ties your FM solution to the user's disk .

If you want to build your own:

Start with the Crypto Toolbox (a free plugin) available from Filemaker Pro Open Source Files ( 'www.fmfiles.com' I think).

Next generate a random number (look for a Scriptology file or check www.databasepros.com) and encrypt it with the toolbox above. Hide the file on the disk.

The list of steps goes on, but the above should get you started. If you need more detail, you can email me.

• 4 weeks later...

This topic is 8456 days old. Please don't post here. Open a new topic instead.