Server Maintenance This Week. ×

This topic is 4629 days old. Please don't post here. Open a new topic instead.

• 1 year later...
  • Newbies

-bump- Any others using CakePHP?

I've been using it extensively separate from Filemaker, and I've been using Filemaker since... well, early...

In recent projects, I explored CakePHP -> Beezwax's PHPCakeMix -> FX.php -> Filemaker Server's XML interface.

Very rapid prototyping, but up to 500ms to get any response to any query. Bank up 10 queries on a page, and it's goodbye responsiveness. Cake's cacheing helps, but not that much.

In very recent testing, I've been using a more direct ODBC connection from Cake to Filemaker (thanks to David Simpson from www.fmpromigrator.com for a brain dump!).

Good news? durn fast: back in the MySQL <50ms range for queries, so great overhead for complex web applications...

Bad news? Some big quirks to iron out/program around. Case in point: the standard SQL command of 'limit' can't be done with Filemaker's ODBC connector (sorta makes sense: Filemaker doesn't 'limit' any search to xx results, it finds all matches all the time). But this makes Cake's native Pagination fail miserably. I'm working on a solution to grab all/most data from an ODBC query to Filemaker, and then custom-parse a Paginator-like function to be able to display a sensible number of results to the end user. The ODBC is so fast, that it's not that much of an overhead: should be able to not re-query on links to Page 2/Next/etc, but just refactor the current result set.

Would love to hear of others' experiences: with Cake's 'rapid' framework and Filemaker's equally 'rapid' nature, they're a good match. And if *future versions* of Filemaker can use/treat SQL better, then it'll be a perfect match moving forward. I know nothing, but have every finger/toe crossed for that one...

------

Apologies: had no idea 'durn/d@rn' was such a swear word... That's about as far as I go, normally - funny to see it edited out : )

This topic is 4629 days old. Please don't post here. Open a new topic instead.