Server Maintenance This Week. ×

Importing the same field several times

polarpro

This topic is 5197 days old. Please don't post here. Open a new topic instead.

Hey there,

I am trying to import data from a German library format ("MABxml") via XML into my FileMaker solution. The original format uses fields and subfields, but it seems that this is a problem I've solved; the import works fine.

However, the original format also uses the same field multiple times with different values. In the attached xml-file it is field #902 that appears twice in one of the records. I cannot find a way to solve this; ideally, the result would be that the import delivers field #902 with two values. Or do I need to merge this fields first, before importing?

Any hint is appreciated.

Mike

DNB_Field_902_twice.xml.zip

DNB_Field_902_twice.xsl.zip

ideally, the result would be that the import delivers field #902 with two values.

Ideally, multiple values would be imported as individual records into a related table. But if you want to stick them into the same field, try:

Edited by Guest

Thank you very much! Works very well.

Ideally, multiple values would be imported as individual records into a related table.

Not sure if this is necessary in this case. I have to merge certain fields anyway, as the structure of my Filemaker file is much simpler than the original format.

The only annoying thing that is left at the moment is that the original format uses multiple attributes, e.g.

saint

dictionary

So, I am running into the problem of not being able to tell Filemaker the difference. I tried simply

but this seems to be not the way to do it. I'd be grateful for advice.

...one more thing to mention: In my first message I stated that the subfield issue seems to be solved with the way I wrote the XSLT:

I found out that this is not quite true. In case an element and its subelements are completely missing the order of the following elements gets messed up. What works though is this way here: 

Attached are the two XSLTs, in case anybody wants to try...

As I can only attach two files per message, here is the XML I tried the attached XSLTs with: 

<?xml version="1.0" ?>

green

yellow

blue

white

Cat

Rose

Dog

Lilly

Sunflower

(Background: The bibliographic records I got from a library have many empty fields. In case a field is empty, the record does not show the element at all.)

Missing_Subfields_xslt_bad.xsl.zip

Missing_Subfields_xslt_good.xsl.zip

This topic is 5197 days old. Please don't post here. Open a new topic instead.