Claris Engage 2025 - March 25-26 Austin Texas ×

Mac Mini Server Spec

owaring

This topic is 5199 days old. Please don't post here. Open a new topic instead.

Filemaker Server Pro

You mean "FileMaker Server Advanced"?

Provided you don't have too many users (c. 10) or demand then a Mac Mini "out of the box" will run fine. If you want to get a memory upgrade then let Apple do it for you as it's a bit tricky getting the Mac Mini open. (I know as I've done some myself)

Purists will likely say the hard drive isn't up to the job, nor the power supply - but you can get quite a number of Mac Minis for an Xserve!

Yes sorry FM Server Pro!

It really is called "FileMaker Server Advanced".

There is no reason the Mac Mini won't support >10 users. In fact I'd like to bet it would easily handle 25+ as a single server with IWP enabled - it's all about the user experience and how complex the DB is.

The Mac Mini only has 5400rpm drives which might not be fast enough in a demanding environment.

My next installation, about 12 users will use this box:

http://www.apple.com/macmini/server/

running fms 10A, I think this will be a winner for us. Up to now I've been running fms on Win boxes, but I think this will be a better solution long term, but then again time will tell!

• 5 months later...

I'm actually running it for 15 people on a 13" MacBook Pro. We went that route instead of the Mini because it's supposed to be easier to upgrade to the solid state drives than with the Mini. There aren't any real performance benefits with the Mini Server over the Mini that I could see.

Christopher

This topic is 5199 days old. Please don't post here. Open a new topic instead.