Server Maintenance This Week. ×

Write to file container, only reference

This topic is 5171 days old. Please don't post here. Open a new topic instead.

Situation:

I'm calling an applescript to create and save a new Word Document with a calculated filename.

Now I would like to store this file (just the reference) directly to FM into a Container field.

Problem:

First I tried with FM script "Insert File" but I don't know how to define the source File, because the filename is based on a calculation

Second thought was to store the reference with applescript but there is the same problem.

any ideas?

by

ChiSao

I tried GetAsText(container) to export the path but I cant reimport this path into the container field. It doesn't work

So is there really no possibility to write a reference into a container field? I can't believe this.

Otherwise I have to use a normal field to store the path and a script trigger to open an apple scipt to open the file with an externel program (Word, Acrobat and so on)

(much more complicated than the container field)

I tried GetAsText(container) to export the path but I cant reimport this path into the container field. It doesn't work

Take one of the paths you get with GetAsText(container) (a relative or an absolute one) and use Set Field[container, thePath] where thePath is the text path in the correct format. You are assigning a bit of text to the container, but that's ok. It will work out.

• 2 weeks later...

So finally I found the solution.

When writing a path to a container field it's important to have a "space" a the end of the path like:

"filemac:/Macintosh HD/word.doc "

the empty space after doc is important.

Does someone know why?

This topic is 5171 days old. Please don't post here. Open a new topic instead.