Server Maintenance This Week. ×

Integrating separate files issues

This topic is 5165 days old. Please don't post here. Open a new topic instead.

I just integrated three multi-table files into one multi-table file that contains all the tables from the originals, including scripts, VL's, etc. and insured all the relationships and portals worked on my MacBook Pro running OSX 10.6.2 and FM10.

However, the solution now hosted with client software on a separate Mac (Mini) running OSX 10.5.x for a small network, upon opening the new file, it appears to be asking for the old files/tables.

If I cancel out, the layouts say table missing, even though it is there -- if I reopen the files and as the requests are made to locate the tables by selecting the new file, all is well.

And the same goes for the clients, when accessing the open file via Remote, requests are made to locate the tables and when the missing files are opened via Remote choosing the new file, all is well.

How do you end this request cycle?

It doesn't sound like you (1) removed the file references and (2) changed all table occurrences in the graph to point to the local tables.

I think that might explain it -- I am sure in the later point, that I pointed the occurrences in the relationship graph to the new tables in the integrated file but I can double check; and if there are any tips, I would appreciate it.

In the first point, I am not sure how to remove the old file references -- can you elaborate?

Thanks for the head's up on that.

I still feel I would profit from understanding why, if the problem, does not exist on my MacBook Pro as I open and close the file, why on another computer with a similar OS, the file would respond as described above.

Is there a more profound understanding to be had?

I suspect your MacBook has got all the original files still in place. As such it won't throw any errors because there are none.

The new machine only has the integrated file ?? So the external files are not there now.

Are you sure you fixed all the table occurrences?

Edited by Guest

If you want to test whether the external references are still being used then simply DELETE the external references - then look in the table graph - any TOs dependent on the external references will have a "TABLE MISSING".

Make a copy of your file first.

This topic is 5165 days old. Please don't post here. Open a new topic instead.