Server Maintenance This Week. ×

AutoNavigator for FileMaker Pro™ version 2.0

This topic is 4680 days old. Please don't post here. Open a new topic instead.

Does anybody have experience dealing with Foundation Database Systems AutoNavigator 2.0? I ordered this product from their website early yesterday, payment went through, but I haven't heard anything back from David Kachel. Their contact number doesn't work and I haven't received response to any of my emails.

• 2 months later...

I wanted to post a quick update on this. I had been interested in AutoNavigator for a week or 2 but seeing this post last week had a dissuading effect. This morning I emailed the author with a number of questions and a request for "signs of life" having mentioned this post. It was no more than 20 minutes that I got a detailed response to all my questions. Further, my follow up questions to the reply were answered in the same timeliness. I have not purchased AutoNavigator quite yet but I wanted to drop a note for anyone who stumbles across this post that David (author) is highly responsive and I would suspect that software purchases are handled with care. He did mention that they hand register purchases which means no immediate download.

best,

steve

I'm happy to hear that things worked out for you. I'm still waiting for a simple reply for the email I sent two months ago. Actually, I sent two; after the second, I decided to just give up on the product.

• 4 months later...
  • 8 months later...
  • Newbies

I have purchased and use AutoNavigator. It's great. If your database solution only requires a few tabs, then the overhead of using AutoNavigator might not be worth it. However, if there is any possibility that you'll have to add more tabs at a later date or your database requires several tabs, and particularly, multiple layers of tabs, don't even think about doing it without AutoNavigator. AutoNavigator is very easy to use, once you get it figured out -- it can be a little confusing at first. It is not an end-user package -- rather, it's a developer's tool that totally streamlines the creation of hierarchal tab structures. AutoNavigator allows 20 tabs at each level, and 7 levels of hierarchy (1,280,000,000 layouts). If that's not enough, you have access to all of the inner workings and can add additional levels and tabs -- it tedious, but not difficult.

I am currently working on a database solution that requires 11 tabs and 2 levels of hierarchy -- 121 user layouts. Keeping track of the tabs would be a nightmare without AutoNavigator. With AutoNavigator, I don't even think about the tab structure, I just work on the database.

I have purchased and use AutoNavigator. It's great. If your database solution only requires a few tabs, then the overhead of using AutoNavigator might not be worth it. However, if there is any possibility that you'll have to add more tabs at a later date or your database requires several tabs, and particularly, multiple layers of tabs, don't even think about doing it without AutoNavigator. AutoNavigator is very easy to use, once you get it figured out -- it can be a little confusing at first. It is not an end-user package -- rather, it's a developer's tool that totally streamlines the creation of hierarchal tab structures. AutoNavigator allows 20 tabs at each level, and 7 levels of hierarchy (1,280,000,000 layouts). If that's not enough, you have access to all of the inner workings and can add additional levels and tabs -- it tedious, but not difficult.

I am currently working on a database solution that requires 11 tabs and 2 levels of hierarchy -- 121 user layouts. Keeping track of the tabs would be a nightmare without AutoNavigator. With AutoNavigator, I don't even think about the tab structure, I just work on the database.

InTouchDatabase,

At this point, even if it built my entire application for me perfectly from scratch, I STILL wouldn't purchase it.

I'm happy to hear that YOU actually were in "contact" with the seller, and received your product as described. As for me, the non-responses to my emails was enough for me to put this product on my "DO NOT USE" list. They must be filthy rich to turn a (prospective) sale away. I learned a long time ago that poor customer service and a blatent disregard for a consumer's inquiries will eventually lead to a companie's downfall. I hope that happens in this case.

It is interesting that someone would register on these forums for the sole purpose of endorsing a product, in response to a thread that was started over a year ago.

Also is kind of sleazy the way the developer constantly runs his "special" (hurry, limited time!) pricing and then spams it to the various FileMaker mailing lists.

And that is all I have to say about that.

It is interesting that someone would register on these forums for the sole purpose of endorsing a product, in response to a thread that was started over a year ago.

Also is kind of sleazy the way the developer constantly runs his "special" (hurry, limited time!) pricing and then spams it to the various FileMaker mailing lists.

And that is all I have to say about that.

I had a brief email exchange with the developer a while back. I was initially interested in his product but it was not very clear to me exactly what he was selling. I asked him if there was a sample database that was built with his product that I could try. (I was truly interested in buying his product.) He told me no and explained that if he provided a sample it would reveal his technique. So I said no problem, I understand your concern. How about I tell you the technique that I am using now and perhaps you could tell me if your solution is based on the same concept? I never heard back from him. I can only assume that the technique that I was already using was similar to his and he thought why waste his time responding if it was not going to result in a sale. Even if he was using the same technique I may have considered buying his product if it would automate the production of all the portal rows and buttons. I guess I'll never know.

• Newbies

I was looking for something else when I happened to stumble upon this forum and thread. I saw that someone wanted to know whether anyone had actually purchased AutoNavigator and what they thought if it. I have, in fact, purchased AutoNavigator and have made extensive use of it. My intent was not to endorse a product, but rather answer the question as to whether anyone had purchased AutoNavigator and what was thought of it.

I have interacted with David on several occasions -- though not recently - always positive. I was also very hesitant to purchase AutoNavigator because I wasn't sure it was a legitimate offer from a real company. I was also put off by the fact that once you've received the product, there's no possibility of a refund. After corresponding with David by email, I made the purchase. I'm glad I did. I've used AutoNavigator for several projects.

I was looking for something else when I happened to stumble upon this forum and thread. I saw that someone wanted to know whether anyone had actually purchased AutoNavigator and what they thought if it. I have, in fact, purchased AutoNavigator and have made extensive use of it. My intent was not to endorse a product, but rather answer the question as to whether anyone had purchased AutoNavigator and what was thought of it.

I have interacted with David on several occasions -- though not recently - always positive. I was also very hesitant to purchase AutoNavigator because I wasn't sure it was a legitimate offer from a real company. I was also put off by the fact that once you've received the product, there's no possibility of a refund. After corresponding with David by email, I made the purchase. I'm glad I did. I've used AutoNavigator for several projects.

Perhaps you can answer a couple of questions.

Can you tell us if AutoNavigator uses portal rows with containers to hold graphics that simulate the look of the tabs that we see in his demo video?

Does the solution use a global variable to load a new set of tabs?

• Newbies

It does not use portal rows. But it does use repeating fields. You can separate the tabs from each other and place them wherever you like. You can use your own graphics and resize the tabs to fit your graphics.

It does use global variables but not to load tab sets

It keeps track of where each user (based on account log in) was in each hierarchy of tabs.

Although you have access to all of the inner workings, if you do things properly, you'll never need to get into it. However, if you screw something up (which is easy to do until you get used to using it), you can pop the hood and straighten it out.

The thing that was most difficult for me to get used to is that you cannot move from editing one layout to editing another without switching to Browse mode in between -- well, you can, but you'll mess stuff up in AutoNavigator. Thankfully, there's a script that will straighten it out again. If you're editing layouts you need to follow this procedure. You the AutoNavigator tabs to move to the desired layout, go to layout mode and do what you need to do. Switch back to Browse mode and then use AutoNavigator to move to the next layout that needs your attention. Once you get used to not switching directly from layout to layout, you'll be fine.

When creating your tab structure, it's important to have a clear plan in advance. I have, on occasion, managed to screwed things up pretty badly. However, I've always been able to pop the hood and get everything back in good working order again.

This topic is 4680 days old. Please don't post here. Open a new topic instead.