Server Maintenance This Week. ×

AppleScript write command error only in FileMaker

This topic is 4659 days old. Please don't post here. Open a new topic instead.

I'm trying to setup an error capture method for catching errors from an AppleScript that will be called from FileMaker.

The test script is listed below. This script works fine using Apple's Script Editor but I get an error trying to add this script to the Perform AppleScript step in FileMaker. I'm trying to enter the exact script into the Native AppleScript field in the Perform AppleScript step but get the following error on the write command:

"Expected end of line, etc. but found """.

Does the write command need a different syntax than the normal AppleScript syntax?

try

return 100 / 0

on error

set fp to open for access file "Macintosh:Users:tomhorton:Desktop:NewFile" with write permission

write "productID, outputFailed" & return to fp starting at eof

close access fp

end try

When I wrapped the on error section in a tell section the error was ignored by FileMaker.

try

return 100 / 0

on error

tell Application "Finder"

set fp to open for access file "Macintosh:Users:tomhorton:Desktop:NewFile" with write permission

write "productID, outputFailed" & return to fp starting at eof

close access fp

end tell

end try

• 1 year later...

Did you ever figure this out? AFAICT, there is a subtle bug (that I don't understand) that makes the command "write" not compile when it surrounded by tell application "FileMaker"

This works:

set fileRef to open for access (path to desktop as string) & "outfile" with write permission

write "hi mom" to fileRef

close access fileRef

This does not compile (Error: Expected end of line, etc., but found """.)

tell application "FileMaker Pro Advanced"

set fileRef to open for access (path to desktop as string) & "outfile" with write permission

close access fileRef

end

But this does compile and run correctly

tell application "FileMaker Pro Advanced"

tell application "Finder"

end tell

close access fileRef

end tell

Seemingly FileMaker is changing the meaning of "write" but I don't understand the details. I suspect that this is a bug in FileMaker. Any insight on this?

TIA

comment—

Your second sentence is (obviously) true. However, "write" does not appear in the dictionaries of either Finder or FileMaker Pro Advanced. The command "write" only occurs in dictionary of the Standard Additions scripting addition. Did you try the examples? I still think that this is ( a ) subtle and ( b ) possibly a bug on the part of FileMaker.

This topic is 4659 days old. Please don't post here. Open a new topic instead.