Restrict calculation result to unique values

This topic is 5107 days old. Please don't post here. Open a new topic instead.

How would that work? You give it an input and a formula, and it calculates a result. Suppose there is a way to check if the result is unique (I assume you mean within the records of the same table), and it turns out it's not: what now?

Yes, and yes. If it's not, unique, the inputs aren't accepted. Some wort of dialog on the order of: your data doesn't generate a unique result. Please check your data and reenter. Or words to that effect. The point here is to be able to join a contact ID (one input) and a participation year (the other input) and generate a unique identifying 'participation year/person'.

Then why not use an auto-entered calculation in Text field - which can then be validated as unique? Using a calculation field won't work here, because you need a list of all existing values as one of the inputs - and that means the calculation will not be stored.

---

See also:

http://fmforums.com/forum/showtopic.php?tid/214938/post/357126/#357126

Edited by Guest

I would if these records were always going to be created new in this table. But they might also be imported from several other files and auto-enter calculations don't work on imported records. Looks like I need to rethink this.

Am I wrong? OK, I understand now. The options dialogue when performing an import -- apply serial number, etc, gives me this option. I've NOT been doing this because I didn't want to break any calculations, serial numbers, relationships, etc. The calculated participation/person field doesn't have that problem. Which is the reasoning for using the calc.

Thanks for bringing my misunderstanding to my attention. I'll go back and try it.

This topic is 5107 days old. Please don't post here. Open a new topic instead.