Server Maintenance This Week. ×

FTPeek logs

This topic is 5003 days old. Please don't post here. Open a new topic instead.

I love the FTPeek logs. Does anyone have a custom function or something to easily obtain the location of the log file irrespective of OS, runtime, FileMaker version, etc? I could write one myself I guess but I'm hoping to save some efforts on this one.

What are you trying to get from the log file?

The FTPeek_LastError function should get you the information you need for error checking. If you have a problem with one of the functions you can call the FTPeek_LastError function to get information about the last plugin function error. The information returned by FTPeek_LastError is the same information which is written in the log file, minus the java logging which is really only useful for us when we need to make changes to the plugin.

I find the logs to be more informative; it logs activity, not just errors. Since the plugin seems to log everything nicely all by itself, I can't see why I should slow down my script or loose time logging the same thing all over when I can just parse the log files.

In addition, FTPeek_LastError only works if the plugin is working, and during the operation, whereas the logs can be accessed all the time.

• 1 month later...

Hi David - we don't have any programmatic way to retrieve the path to the log file. However, it will always be in the same place relative to the user's home directory. The main thing that will change is the actual file name for the log file, which is a combination of the plugin name and the type of environment it is being run in:

/Users/jesse/Library/Logs/360Plugin Logs/360Works Charts_FMAdvanced.log

/Users/jesse/Library/Logs/360Plugin Logs/360Works Charts_FMPro.log

/Users/jesse/Library/Logs/360Plugin Logs/360Works Charts_WPE.log

If they are running on the server, the paths would look like this:

/Library/FileMaker Server/Logs/360Plugin Logs/360Works Email_Server.log

/Library/FileMaker Server/Logs/360Plugin Logs/360Works Email_WPE.log

Paths on Windows would be very similar, except they would be relative to the user's documents directory.

This topic is 5003 days old. Please don't post here. Open a new topic instead.