Server Maintenance This Week. ×

Import and Export

This topic is 5031 days old. Please don't post here. Open a new topic instead.

I've downloaded the iPhone version, and so far quite impressive. I'm seeing a ton of potential here, but I'm also seeing a very glaring flaw. It doesn't appear to support any type of data exporting. None of the needed script steps are supported. Now why would they do that? I realize it's meant to connect to a hosted database, which is great, but what if I have customers in the field and firewall issues prevent direct connection with FileMaker. I'm wanting a way to send their data to an FTP or via email, and have FileMaker import it.

The only thing I've been able to accomplish is a send mail where I include the data I want to export in the body of the email. Anyone know of elegant email import options for FileMaker?

use dropbox and drop a filemaker database on it or send an actual file thru email.

end user will have local database -

IF end users are 'creating' data you may consider a UID custom function so you can merge the disparate databases.

Each user would have to use itunes to pull the database off the device and then import the data from there to your main system.

Here's what I want to be able to do...imagine an expense log for Salesmen.

I have a FM database hosted at a location where all data is compiled and stored. The salesmen will not have access to this. So, I'd like to create a stand alone FM file they could have on their iPhone. They enter data, and every once in a while hit the submit button within the app. Their expense data is sent and imported into the main database.

Problem is, FileMaker Go has no export functions. So, the sales reps can enter their data into this stand alone FM file, but their is not way to get it out. Even if I have the FM file on my iPhone, their doesn't appear to be a way to get it to dropbox. Having them plug into iTunes to transfer over a file sort of defeats the purpose of using the iPhone in the first place.

The only option I'm seeing is using the send email script step, and include all the data in the body of the email. If I do that, I need a way to receive and parse emails into FileMaker. I could do that by writing an applescript to save the emails from entourage or mail to a location, then trigger FileMaker to import them. Not sure how I would do it on a PC though.

there is a nice solution from 360Works for email. Here is what I would propose. Have the salesmen create the emails as you describe (make sure you have a flag to mark each record as already sent, to prevent resending data)

Have the 360Works email plugin run on a server schedule to watch for the emails. When one comes, the plug in can download it to your database, then parse it into your system.

I have been using this for more than a year with no hiccups.

Jerry

Thanks Jerry...I was looking at that one. That would work in most cases, but I'm hoping to have a solution I can resell. A license allowing me to embed 360Works (or similar) is just way too expensive.

Hello,

FileMaker Go connects just fine to hosted FileMaker Databases.

Is there a reason this will not work for you?

Why does the salesman need their own copy of the database?

Todd

We're talking to a county agency, and they know that they have partial or poor AT&T coverage...property inspections in the field....so they need a local DB that will sync. So thats what we're cooking up for them. I see this being a common problem for a number of years until wireless internet truly matures everywhere.

- Richard

Exactly, it's for those times when there are firewall issues or the user is outside of a coverage area. With a limited function local db on the device, they can still record data, then send it later when they are able.

• Newbies

Hello. I hope that FileMaker is hard at work on a way to sync the local DB on the device with a remote DB. We also need to use the local file on the device to collect data because we often work in remote areas.

At this time I see no way around using iTunes (or email)to get the data off the device.

All you need is a dirt cheap netbook with iTunes and a SugarSync, DropBox, or similar account. You do not need a copy of FM Pro on the netbook. You just go about your day collecting data then when you are ready, connect to iTunes and you can drop your file directly into your "Magic Briefcase" or whatever folder you have set up to sync. As long as you don't rename the file it will overwrite the old file with the new everytime.

It should sync to the "Cloud" automatically as long as your netbook has an internet connection.

My plan is for each field device to have it's own individual file to sync with at the office then a central file will access thses as external files.

To avoid overwriting new data this needs to stay a oneway (Field to Office) system. It is possible for the Office to update or add records but it must be done after the field device has sent all it's data for the day and must be downloaded and installed in the field before any new data is collected. Involves communication and timing to avoid data loss.

It might be possible to do a two file solution where one file is for Field to Office only and the other is Office to Field only. I have not tried using two related files on FM GO but I believe it can be done. In this scenario the office can send an updated file to the field either by email or in the "Magic Briefcase" and updating this second file won't affect the collected data in the first file. It should be possible to see the data in the the second file from the first via related fields, portals etc.. Ideally the field device would never even have to open the second file (unless the device needs to open it to get the data.)

One other alternative is to use FM Touch which does have the ability to sync to a remote file on a server. I was working on this solution before GO was released. The downside is FM Touch supports only a very limited subset of FM Pro features. It was very frustrating trying to work around all the limitations. With GO you can use almost any script step or function you want. For me switching to GO was like a breath of fresh air except for the lack of syncronization issue.

It's always something!

James

Hello,

FileMaker Go connects just fine to hosted FileMaker Databases.

Is there a reason this will not work for you?

Why does the salesman need their own copy of the database?

Todd

Can I get all the settings (computer & ipad) to allow the host computer to share the database with my ipad over 3G.

Thanks in advance

You'll need to download the software to see the connection options, but they are similar to those in FileMaker when connecting to a host. Select the host (computer) name from the list or enter an address, then select the available database to open. I assume it would be the same through 3G cept you'd most likely have to use an IP address. Assuming you can get through your companies firewall, you should be able to connect.

• Newbies

Hello,

I am no expert at this stuff but I did manage to get both my iPad and iPhone connected over 3G.

1.You need to have your file or files you want to work with open on your desktop, laptop, using FileMaker Pro or Server.

The files need to have sharing turned on, set permissions, password and user name.

2.You need to make sure port 5003 is forwarded through any firewalls you are behind. Especially your router if you are using one, Windows Firewall etc.. Your router manual should tell you how to get into the settings. Usually 192.168.1.1 or 0.1 or something like that. You can find your IP Address here too or use ipconfig to find it.

3.Turn off wifi on your device so you are uing 3G. Right before you open FM GO you want to go to Safari and just do anything that requires a data connection. I just usually rerun my last Google search. This wakes up the connection. If you don't do this before opening FM GO it might not work. I stumbled on this by accident. It seems that after a few minutes of inactivity the 3G data connection goes to sleep. FM GO can't wake it up. I don't know if this is a bug or just the way it has to be due to iOS limitations. If it has been more than 5 or 10 minutes since you last did any activity on your device involving data services you will need to just go to Safari first, and run a search or open any web page to wake it up, or it won't work. It doesn't tell you that the connection is lost. It just tells you no files are available.

4. This is related to two above. If you don't have a static IP Address you need to go to DynDNS.com to get a free domain name that points to your IP Adress even if it changes. Not sure how it works but it is easy to set up. I'm sure there are others but this is the one I used and it's working for me.

That's all I know. Good luck.

This topic is 5031 days old. Please don't post here. Open a new topic instead.