Self logging icons

BKolb

This topic is 5031 days old. Please don't post here. Open a new topic instead.

• Newbies

I am using Filemaker Pro v 10. We have users who have an icon on their desktops so all they have to do is click on it and they are logged in as their LDAP ID (which is the same as the Filemaker login) and sent to the right layout. We also have icons (on my desktop) that I can click and I am logged in as our Admin account. However, I can't figure out how this is accomplished. I've looked at the properties of these icons (they are .fp7 files, NOT shortcuts) and I don't see any difference. I have opened them via Filemaker's File-> Open with the script debugger open, and they both, OnFirstWindowOpen call a script that has an Open File call. That's all it does.

Can anyone tell me how these work? We are being forced to move our server instance to a new server (different name) and we want to make sure we can have our users click their icon and log into the new server after it's been moved there, but we don't know how to make sure they will be automatically logged in as themselves. Any help would be most appreciated.

One other thing...when I open them up in Filemaker Client, and go to File->File Options..., on the Open/Close tab, they BOTH say to Login using Admin. But only one of them does this.

Edited by Guest

Sounds like you are using External Authentication. To confirm you need to open the hosted file and check the accounts that are set up there. If they are labeled "external" then yes you are using EA.

The "log on as" setting in the shortcut/launcher file is a red herring, it's meaningless.

What that does is this:

- user double-clicks the launcher file

- filemaker opens this file as admin (for that file)

- the OnFirstWindowOpen script runs and that one opens the hosted solution

- filemaker passes on the admin credentials to the hosted file but those fail to open the hosted file (you can verify that in the server event log)

- filemaker server then tries to open the hosted file using the user's ActiveDirectory or OpenDirectory credentials (you didn't say what platform you were using, LDAP is just a protocol, not a directory service like AD or OD)

- that works so the user is granted access with the privilege set attached to the external account that is set up in the FM file for their AD/OD group.

- (if it didn't work the user would be prompted to enter a username and pw)

This topic is 5031 days old. Please don't post here. Open a new topic instead.