Server Maintenance This Week. ×

Single log in

AlesD

This topic is 5007 days old. Please don't post here. Open a new topic instead.

Hi,

I need help with following setup. I have two project databases which has same externaly connected related table from file contacts.fp7

For security reasons each db has different admin password.

My question is how to set up all this to login to project database only. Now after successful login to project db FM asks for contacts db password too.

Simply told if user logging to any project db has admin privilege so he should gain admin rights in contacts db too. Some kind of privilege set heritage.

Edited by Guest

Having admin access in one file should automatically make me admin in any other file I choose? Haha, that's a good one.

Think about what you just said: "for security reasons... which apparently are not good reasons and I want to bypass them..."

Create matching credentials in each of your files, and assign each account the privileges you want it to have.

For security reasons each db has different admin password... My question is how to set up all this to login to project database only. Now after successful login to project db FM asks for contacts db password too.

Multiple prompts for authentication is what the different password will give, so you should already have what you ask for. However this is a real pain: why prompt for two different passwords? The usual question is how to GET RID of the multiple prompts for password.

Once a user is authenticated let them have access to all the files they have rights to.

if user logging to any project db has admin privilege so he should gain admin rights in contacts db too. Some kind of privilege set heritage.

There is no "privilege set heritage" but there is "account" heritage. If related files have the same username and password then the user will only be prompted to open the first file, the rest will open with the same authentication credentials. This allows a user to have different privileges in different files (could be admin in one file but read-only in another).

I'm sorry if my question sounded little weird it's my first FileMaker db with external file.So what should I change to make it work. As I said I have 2 DBs with admin user login but each db has different password so how to create same admin login with two different password in Contacts db?

I know it is impossible.

My intention was share contacts db with other production DBs from where you can add/edit contacts.

I don't need to use contacts db directly but I feel it is too risky has it without password.

Thank you.

Ales

The question has been answered, I'll try again:

1. If both files have a user called "admin" but the passwords are different, then you will always have to enter a password in the 2nd file. The only way around this is to create a giant security hole (e.g. store the 2nd login in plain text in a re-login script).

2. You need to either make both passwords match, or create a new account in each file where both the user name and password match. The new accounts can have similar access privileges in each file, or different privileges. It's your choice.

I see what you want now: the files have the same usernames but with different passwords, and you don't want the prompt for the second password to appear.

If the passwords are different the prompt will appear. There is no way around it without defeating the security itself.

This topic is 5007 days old. Please don't post here. Open a new topic instead.