Server Maintenance This Week. ×

Exporting FM file from iPad

This topic is 5001 days old. Please don't post here. Open a new topic instead.

Hi everyone,

We got our FM database up in an iPad, but can't figure out how to export the records to another computer..

The database in iPad is just something that the user will use remotely, and the records need to be integrated with the main database file (with the same design) in a computer. Now we need to figure out how to somehow retrieve the database file off the iPad? Anyone who's familiar with how the new gadget works? It doesn't seem to have the email attachment function, and I don't even know if we can store files in any locations in iPad.. otherwise i could just email the FM file...

Let me know. Thanks a lot!

Use iTunes to get files off and on mobile devices.

However I'd be looking at connecting directly to the "main" database for the upload process. Is it hosted in FMS? It should be possible to crate import scripts that transfer the data back.

There may be issues with data synchronisation, duplicate primary keys etc. Data sync is not simple or easy.

Thanks! Yes, the main database is hosted in FM server. So I need to create the import script to do the task.. in the "import data" script, how should i specify more than one matching sets of data? because my database has several tables, and i need to transfer data from all the tables. so do i need to specify several import data scripts then?

Also, is there any optimal way to input the IDs in the "temporary" database to keep the IDs separate from the main db? The tricky part is how to integrate the data collected from iPad with the main database in FMS.

Thanks a lot!

Edited by Guest

The tricky part is how to integrate the data collected from iPad with the main database in FMS.

Yes it is tricky. Which is why synchronising multiple databases should be the *second* choice: using the hosted file should be the first.

Yes, tricky. I have done it several times and it never goes the same every time... It would be better to make a new, slim database with the littlest data that needs to be collected out in the field. Syncing can take a lot of time... so if it is a system that only adds orders, then a simple import records of sales then clear them out after.

I am running into the same issue. For us, it is just easier to have all our system on 3G or a wifi pocket system for the iPad.

Perhaps a script trigger that would prevent editing existing records but allow for new records would be one way to make the synching easier.

Filemaker needs to include a push sync for this process to keep everyone from reinventing the wheel.

Filemaker needs to include a push sync...

What rules should it follow?

All of the tools for creating a push sych have existed for many years. FMP *is* a development environment, not a finished solution/

You also underestimate the complexity involved in syncing. There is no one "right" way to do it. It depends on the business rules.

The issue of data sync has nothing to do with FM Go.

FM Go can work with hosted FM files, which puts it in a different league than Bento and other stand-alone databases.

Have you ever set up a database sync solution? It is an interesting experience.

Himitsu has. In the post above Himitsu talks about strategies to reduce complexity, which says a lot about how "tricky" the problem is. He then says the solution for them was to avoid the sync problem entirely.

This topic is 5001 days old. Please don't post here. Open a new topic instead.