Server Maintenance This Week. ×

Email through Filemaker Server

Answers

This topic is 4993 days old. Please don't post here. Open a new topic instead.

I can create email scripts that attach files, sends to multiple addresses etc... All these scripts launches the email client on that workstation. What I need now is to have the email script email through the filemaker server. The boss doesn't want the email going from the workstation, they want the email to be sent from the filemaker server where of course the database is hosted from.. not sure how to do this?

any help is greatly appreciated!

Caroline

If you are using FM9, you may wish to upgrade. In either 10 or 11, they introduced SMTP capabilities in FM, no longer requiring an email client.

You would compose the email in a Filemaker record and use Send Mail to capture the data from this record and send it.

To have FMS11 collect all unsent email records, simply write a server script that finds all unsent emails, and then loops thru them, sending and stamping the DateSent.

Or, investigate plugsin. Plugins allow for html email, multiple attachments and graphics. They too can send from Server. Google filemaker email plugins.

Thank you.

All the workstations are on 9 and the server is 10. We could upgrade all the workstations but I'll also check into the plugins.

If I do upgrade I wanted the script to automatically send the email when the client hits send... I guess I'm confused about the server finding all unsent emails and looping through.

Nope, sending isn't really going to happen when they click Send. The server will find the unsent emails (no Date_Sent) and send them. You need a server script scheduled (every 5 minutes) to find and send the unsent emails.

Do you have a table for Email records?

Ah, so you don't have a table of emails? You'll need that. Since you won't be using an email client, you'll need to create a table in your system of the child emails.

We call this table Activities (it's more than emails). Each record has the foreign key of the contact. You'll need a layout for data entry into this record, and such fields as email_To (lookup from Contact on record create), email_From, email_Subject, email_Body, Date_Sent.

Have a look at some plugin demos. They've already recreated an Email client in FM.

Edited by Guest

This topic is 4993 days old. Please don't post here. Open a new topic instead.