Server Maintenance This Week. ×

Tool Bar or Custom Menu??

robrsla

This topic is 4985 days old. Please don't post here. Open a new topic instead.

I developed a solution that is being used by others. On the top bar (tool bar? Menu? I'm not sure what its called) are default buttons. Show all, new record, delete record, Find etc, I want to deny the users via privileges or whatever, the ability to use these buttons, commands, tools, whatever they are called. I want to prevent all other users (except me) the right to delete records. How is this done? I have set up an account for each employee with a log in. so whats next? I'm clueless mostly because I don't know the nomenclature.

You should probably start with Protecting databases with accounts and privilege sets.

FileMaker has a default privilege set for data entry that prevents deleting records, or you can set up your own "no delete" privilege set. You don't need a separate priv. set for each user, just assign them all to your "no delete" set.

Another common technique is to hide/lock the Status Bar in an Open Script if Get (AccountPrivilegeSetName)<> "[Full Access]",and offer the functionality using either Custom Menus or buttons on the layouts.

Custom menus are useful too -- still, the OP already has user accounts in place, so it's pretty simple to go one more step and assign a privilege set. That's also the best security.

Another point to consider is that you may actually want users to see that Delete Record is dimmed out, rather than hiding it. That lets them know the command does exist, so they don't waste time hunting around for it.

I was just reading this article...

http://www.useit.com/alertbox/ipad.html

... and it asked the question "A strategic issue for iPad user experience design is whether to emphasize user empowerment or author authority."

I like the concepts of "user empowerment" and "author authority" and think about it in relation to interface design. I reckon 100% user empowerment is the full, native FMP interface where the user sees the status area and the default menus. I am to give them as much as that as I can while ensuring security and data integrity are maintained.

This topic is 4985 days old. Please don't post here. Open a new topic instead.