Server Maintenance This Week. ×

Fielmaker Server 10 ask for credential

This topic is 4978 days old. Please don't post here. Open a new topic instead.

Hi,

We have a Window VM server under Window server 2008 SP2. On it we install FM server advanced V10.

We have around 150 users on it under Filemaker V8.03 and 115 bases.

We use Window login name and password (external authentication).

This morning the server as a sudden was asking each user for a credential!?!

It never did that before.

A window update was waiting for a restart.

We decide to restart the databases server but we cannot close properly the database from the Admin Consol, no reaction. Everithing restart well after that (with some verifying databases)

Any idea why suddenly the server ask for password and if we can correct this without restarting the VM server?

And why the Admin consol doesn't work?

Also I have on the FMS log file failed connection to the server by users.

The user connect without any problem but the log said it failed in a warning.

I try the "list only databases the user can access" on a test server but the warning are still there.

Thank you for you help.

Alain

first of all, disable automatic windows updating. As you've now seen it can cause problems. In this case there probably was an update that temporarily cut the FMS machine off from the domain and the machine then failed to restore that connection.

Also check to see if in the FMS logs folder there is a file with the ".dmp" extension. If there is, FMS has crashed. The date & timestamp on that DMP file will tell you when that happened.

When the admin console does not want to react, try to close the files from the command line (using the fmsadmin command).

Thank you for the tips.

The automatique window update wasn't set to automatic but an update was done, waiting we restart the server. I guess is what that create the server to disconnect from the environement.

My second question is how I can avoid the Connection Failed (warning) in the FMS log?

The end-user client get a connection without error but the log still show a warning. I would like to know what I did wrong in the FMS settings?

Thank you

Alain

A connection failed warning typically points to a flaky network setup or a flaky network card in either client or server or a flaky port in one of the routers and switches between the client and the server.

Not bad enough to disallow the connection but bad enough to cut out from time to time. FMS and FMP keep in touch continiously so anything network interference will produce errors and warnings.

This topic is 4978 days old. Please don't post here. Open a new topic instead.