Speeding up FMPServer 3.x

This topic is 8688 days old. Please don't post here. Open a new topic instead.

• Newbies

I have been serving my solution on a LAN quite successfully but recently went to a WAN and now I am getting lots of complaints about speed. I am hosting with FMPServer 3.4 on s dedicated windows NT 4.0 Server. I have some files that are being hosted that I could remove from the server - would that help? Any suggestions would be appreciated.

The major reason for your slowdown is the speed of your T1 connection and the number of files in your solution.... Most likely 1.5 MPS ... IF you have a great number of WAN users, I reccomend that you deploy your solution via: a Thin Client such as Citrix!

quote:

Originally posted by Falcon91:

The major reason for your slowdown is the speed of your T1 connection and the number of files in your solution.... Most likely 1.5 MPS ... IF you have a great number of WAN users, I reccomend that you deploy your solution via: a Thin Client such as Citrix!

WANs are typically MUCH slower than a LAN. No reasonable way around it. Many WANs even have speeds down around 56k. This is generally way to poor to support a descent Filemaker connection.

Some kind of thin client is a good idea. Even using a remote control type program (such as Timbuktu or PC Anywhere) to control a simple LAN hooked up system will also work for a much lower pricetag.

------------------

=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=

Kurt Knippel

Senior Filemaker Developer

http://www.inthescene.com

mailto:[email protected]

=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=

This topic is 8688 days old. Please don't post here. Open a new topic instead.