Server Maintenance This Week. ×

Re-Login

Reid

This topic is 4922 days old. Please don't post here. Open a new topic instead.

I'd like to have the user have to enter their username and password in order to enter certain areas of the database (For added security). I'm using the re-login script followed by a Go To Layout script but if they press cancel, it brings them to the layout regardless.

How can I make it so that if the password is wrong, then the rest of the script stops? IE it doesn't bring them to the layout.

Wrong password is different from pressing Cancel. Or I guess you mean they enter the wrong password, but when prompted to retry, they cancel at that point.

You'll need to modify your script something like this:

Set Error Capture (On)

Re-Login

Set Variable ( $error ; Get( LastError ) )

If( $error = 1 )  /* user canceled */

Exit Script

Else If( $error = 212 )  /* no match */

Show custom dialog ( "Invalid user account and/or password; please try again" )

Else If( Get(AccountPrivilegeSetName) = "go away"  )

Show custom dialog ( "You can't do that." )

...etc....

End If

Note than when you turn error capture on, you'll have to deal with any errors -- FileMaker error dialogs will be suppressed.

I'd like to have the user have to enter their username and password in order to enter certain areas of the database (For added security).

How does this add to security? Presumably these are the same credentials the user initially entered to access the system?

What are you actually trying to do here? What threat are you trying to address?

Steven

• 4 weeks later...

Hi,

Just a guess, but this scenario does help with an open office type environment.

For example, a manager leaves their desk to go and make a cup of coffee. A member of staff comes along and tries to get into a section of the database they aren't normally allowed into as the database has been left logged in as the manager.

The re-login process prevents them getting into that sensitive area.

In a small business such as mine, this is a typical instance I'd like to protect against - either maliciously or by accident.

Richard.

For example, a manager leaves their desk to go and make a cup of coffee. A member of staff comes along and tries to get into a section of the database they aren't normally allowed into as the database has been left logged in as the manager.

There were stories going around about IBM in its heyday, that any person who left their computer logged-in and unattended could be instantly dismissed (and were).

Require users to lock their screens when the machine is unattended. Set up the screensaver to do this automatically after 1 minute.

IMHO this is not a database problem. It's a computer security problem, and it's linked to people's behaviour.

This type of control is managed by the OS on both Macintosh and Windows. Additionally there are 3rd party devices to assist with this functionality. This is [color:red]not something that FileMaker Pro or any other productivity application should be doing on its own. This is distinct from the idle time out feature of FileMaker Server.

This issue was carefully considered when the .fp7 version planning was in progress several years back.

Steven

This topic is 4922 days old. Please don't post here. Open a new topic instead.