Flushing ALL cache

This topic is 4931 days old. Please don't post here. Open a new topic instead.

I'm running some tests to see what techniques work for best performance over a WAN. I'm running into a problem with Filemaker's cache.

Is there a way to clear the Filemaker's cache?

Refresh Window[Flush cached join results] only gets me halfway there...clearing relationships, but not local data.

Flush Cache to Disk[] doesn't have any effect at all.

Right now, I'm exiting the application every time I run test which is really annoying.

Best performance over a WAN would be gained from NOT flushing FMP's cache.

I've found that problems with data refresh are often linked to sub-optimal data design, particularly the reliance on calculations from related records. Changing the context can often resolve the problem.

I'm looking to test different techniques for improving performance.

Questions like, are Looping scripts that use global variables or global fields faster? Is there a difference between using multiple Set Variable steps or one with a Let() statement to define multiple variables?

When I run the first test, the data local to the table is cached, so the second test is biased, unless I clear the cache somehow, which right now means an exit and open.

My question is: Is there a way to clear Filemaker cache?

• 1 month later...

sorry, this isn't an answer to your question (I've never heard how to clear Filemaker cache), but I attended a FileMaker webinar titled "Developing for Maximum WAN Performance" I believe it was presented by Mark Richman of Skeleton Key. He mentioned trying multiple techniques for testing performance. My guess is that if anyone could answer your question it would be him.

I don't see the webinar available in the archive on FileMaker.com yet, but when it becomes available, I'd highly recommend you check it out.

This topic is 4931 days old. Please don't post here. Open a new topic instead.