license key

This topic is 4427 days old. Please don't post here. Open a new topic instead.

This is the error message a client received today:

"The maximum number of licensed users are currently using this copy of FileMaker Pro. Please refer to the License Key section of your software documentation for further instructions.

License Key conflict occurred with user "*username* (*hostname*) [*IP Address*]".

All files will be closed and the application will quit."

The solution is hosted on a third party server. The username and IP address in the error message were not of my client. The license key was purchased by my client and not resold or transferred.

Is there another explanation for this other than someone has misappropriated my client's license key?

• 1 year later...

Yes, it might be that somebody is using the similar license key, especially if you are on FileMaker10. It also happens sometimes when the user abuses the database in any way, like by closing it in the middle of processing the records etc.

I fix this by going into the: control panel > install programs > FileMaker Pro > repair/modify > modify. This should work (or something like this, i did not have this for a long time, it doesnt happen so much with FM 11).

• 1 month later...

I have never heard that a "similar" license key is enough for FileMaker to shut down.

Without knowing who was stated as the conflicting party, I see only two possibilities: The first is that your client is not using the rightfully purchased serial number, but one from the internet. On a shared hosting plan it could indeed happen that someone else is using the same serial number. OR - your client has multiple FMP installations with the same serial number. Maybe they never noticed, because the machines are not in the same network. One could be offsite. At home, someone's laptop for example. No conflict arises unless they both access the hosted solution at the same time.

If there is a license key conflict within a subnet, the offending installation of FIleMaker Pro will likely close with an error message. This more likely occurs with multiple installations using a Finished Good Unit type of individual license, not a Volume License or a Site License. It's been that way for some time and multiple versions now.

Steven

• 4 weeks later...

Hi,

I have the same problem, and i think filemaker doesn't deal with this properly.

1. First open a file in filemaker pro (Server PC), i didn't test with fm server.

2. In a different computer open that file (remote).

3. Now, “break” the Filemaker in the second computer. This can occur if a laptop loose battery or the system needs to reboot, filemaker stop working. So you must close Filemaker throw task manager.

4. After close “break” filemaker try to connect the server again. You will get this error, and the only way to let this computer run the file again, is to close filemaker at server level.

There are users that don’t take care. They can reset a computer or switch off a computer easily, so it’s necessary to restart filemaker to turn this. One user can break a server easily.

This topic is 4427 days old. Please don't post here. Open a new topic instead.