FM Pro Reformatting Tabs in Fields

This topic is 8666 days old. Please don't post here. Open a new topic instead.

quote:

Originally posted by Keith Shelton:

I have changed the tab positions in a normal text field (in Layout) but they do not seem to change within each record, i.e. I seem to have to go to the relevant field in every record and change them manually. What am I doing wrong?

??

When you reset the Tab order, it sets it for the entire file. If it is still not right, do it again, as you have not done it the way you intended.

------------------

=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=

Kurt Knippel

Senior Filemaker Developer

http://www.database-resources.com

mailto:[email protected]

I think Keith is talking about Tabbing within a text field.

In which case the tabs should be set in the relevant field in all records. However, if you have entered data into one of the existing records and haven't used the tabs before this, you'll need to go into each records set the tabbed text properly.

Thanks for quick reply. I may not have been clear but I am talking about text Tab positions and not Tab Order.

e.g. If field X has no tab at 10 cm and I enter one in the field in Layout, the tab position does not appear in the field within the records - having said that, I sometimes have a feeling that some records may take the new tab.

I also have another small point. Is it possible to restrict the length of a field when entering text? For example, a notes box designed to accept a limit of 10 lines of text on a form. Further text can be entered and the field expands but the additional lines of text will not then show when the form is printed.

quote:

Originally posted by Keith Shelton:

Thanks for quick reply. I may not have been clear but I am talking about text Tab positions and not Tab Order.

e.g. If field X has no tab at 10 cm and I enter one in the field in Layout, the tab position does not appear in the field within the records - having said that, I sometimes have a feeling that some records may take the new tab.

I also have another small point. Is it possible to restrict the length of a field when entering text? For example, a notes box designed to accept a limit of 10 lines of text on a form. Further text can be entered and the field expands but the additional lines of text will not then show when the form is printed.

Formatting "within" a text field is NOT carried between records. You are actually formatting the data that is in the field and not the field itself. Use the Layout mode to set formatting for the field itself and that will work for the data within the field.

For your second question, you cannot control the amount of data a user puts into a field, but you can control the size of the output. Simply size the field as you want it to display and all additional data will simply not be shown.

------------------

Kurt Knippel

Senior Filemaker Developer

http://www.database-resources.com

mailto:[email protected]

Thanks again Kurt.

Item 1. Just to be clear. If I set a new tab in a field in Layout, that tab will not appear in the records. Therefore, if I have hundreds of records, there is no way I can merely set a new tab once in Layout but instead I have to go into every single record and change it. Correct?

Item 2. That is exactly my problem. If someone forgets and carries on typing passed the field size, then such extra lines will not print. The additional info could obviously be important and its omission not noticed - particularly if it is sent direct by fax, i.e. without any inhouse printout.

Keith

• 2 weeks later...

For the note field, use validation by claculation (the Length[] function) to at least warn the user that they have entered too much data into the field.

A calculation field with left function could be used to display or preview how the field might look on the final layout if you need to give the user that kind of feedback.

This topic is 8666 days old. Please don't post here. Open a new topic instead.