Server Maintenance This Week. ×

Custom Auto Fill with Option

This topic is 4929 days old. Please don't post here. Open a new topic instead.

Hi everyone... I have run into a small snag -- I have included a sample to help me explain my situation...

I have two tables -- Insured and Physician... a insured can have many physicians. Also the physicians can also be used for other insured in the data base. (makes less typing).

I would like to have a way to go to the physician layout and either select the physican from a list and it auto populate the table or have a field that auto completes itself and the rest of the table when the correct name is selected....

BUT -- if there is not the name in the listing I would like the option to fill in the physician table manually. After I fill the table in manually have it be added to the list of available physicians..

Not sure where to began... Please look at the example...

Thank you

Custom_Auto_Fill.zip

I misread your original post and have just noticed

a insured can have many physicians. Also the physicians can also be used for other insured in the data base.

This is a many-to-many relationship that is best accomplished with a third - join - table.

I don't understand this bit

the name on a new record it does not get added to the new record

Whose name - physician/insured?

Is the attached any nearer what you need?

Custom_Auto_Fill2.zip

Sorry My description was confusing... I looked at your example and it works perfectly... wow great..

Two Questions:

1) when you add a doctor to an insured from the list does it associate the doctor by id_insured?

2) Is this possible to do with a pull down instead of a portal? If not can or is it possible to move that portal to the physician page?

The reason I ask about the pull down method (using auto complete is that this Doctor list will get huge over time...and it would be nice to search if you will (or auto complete) to speed up things...

Thank you so much for your help --- make you realize how little ones knows... really cool.

Joseph

3)

Edited by Guest

1) when you add a doctor to an insured from the list does it associate the doctor by id_insured?

The join is from ID insured to ID physician - see the relationship graph

2) Is this possible to do with a pull down instead of a portal?

Yes - see amended file attached

Custom_Auto_Fill3.zip

Custom_Auto_Fill3.zip

Edited by Guest
wrong file attached

Got it --- Really confusing b/c I am used to seeing the related files have the same id....

Thank you for all of your help --- do you think this is in your opion the best way to handle adding doctors if you have already typed their info?

The reason I ask is that you might have a better thought than this....

One last question: Can you make this pull down auto complete -- meaning if I start typing can it find the name if its there... this option would sure make this method faster --- I figure when we are up and running this doctor list will be 5,000 long....

Thank you again for your help...

Joseph

This topic is 4929 days old. Please don't post here. Open a new topic instead.