Server Maintenance This Week. ×

Printing an addresses form a child table

Valdrin

This topic is 4927 days old. Please don't post here. Open a new topic instead.

Hi all

I have a table for customers and a child table for their multiple address (work, home, billing, shipping, etc.). When I need to print envelopes for a found set, what is the best way to select among the multiple addresses for the customers?

Thanks!

That will certainly work, but I was wondering if there was another way to do it without storing the information in the customer table.

Is there a way to set a flag on the records in the address table and use that when printing a found set?

If you set the flag_Preferred in Addresses, then you need to make sure to clear any previously flagged records.

Why are you uncomfortable with setting the ID in the parent? This is the best way of storing a "preferred" child.

Here's a simple demo.

PrefAddr.fp7.zip

I'm not really uncomfortable with having preferred address fields in the parent table, and that is what I have mostly done in the past.

RIght now I'm working on a solution where all the customers have multiple phones, emails, and addresses, and duplicating all of the fields from those three child tables into the parent table seemed like a lot of replicated data, so I was just wondering if there was another way to handle it, or if storing preferred fields was the only practical way do it.

Thanks for your help.

This topic is 4927 days old. Please don't post here. Open a new topic instead.