Server Maintenance This Week. ×

Sorting with limited access records

RDWirr

This topic is 4913 days old. Please don't post here. Open a new topic instead.

I have a list view page of records that I want to sort with a script. For some user privilege sets the user is prohibited from changing records. I have allowed access to the fields the are required for the sorting, along with permission to execute scripts. I have even tried allowing modification of layouts. But I always get the error that "The current access privileges do not enable me to use the current sort order".

Can anyone tell me what could be blocking me from sorting?

Thanks in advance,

RDW

Hi BCooney,

Sorry for the delay in responding. Busy week.

I have posted the scripts here. There is a write to the field 'HiliteSortedBy' which is used as a toggle for ascending or descending sorts off the same button. I have that field set to modifiable in the record access privileges...and also for the purpose of testing I have set the layout privileges to modifiable but still the same error.

Thx,

RDW

SortDept.jpg

SortDeptA.jpg

Well, I've never seen this message, "The current access privileges do not enable me to use the current sort order".

I think you'll need to post the file.

If this script runs fine with full privs, then apparently, it is a priv set issue.

I believe the global field is a red herring, and that the message comes on because users have no access to the Department field - or some other field in the sort order.

You cannot sort by a field that you are not allowed to view; this makes perfect sense because, for example, sorting employees by Age would reveal quite a lot about the field's hidden contents.

Ihave.png

Edited by Guest

Hi Comment and BCooney,

Thanks for your help. That was indeed the problem. Once I allowed the "hiliteSortedBy" field to be modifiable, it worked.

I wonder if I could ask another question while we are on the subject of security.

What is it in the privilege setup that controls whether an account can go into Preview Mode or not? I have one privilege set that allows pretty much full access to everything except modifying layouts and some housekeeping fields and I have allowed printing but for some reason the preview and all of the buttons except navigation on the status bar are grayed out.

Thanks again,

RDW

There is a privilege option to allow printing and exporting. Perhaps entry into preview mode is disallowed if the option to allow printing is disallowed.

Otherwise, check whether custom menus are used. Preview mode may be remove from the menus.

This topic is 4913 days old. Please don't post here. Open a new topic instead.