Server Maintenance This Week. ×

Reporting on Database memory size

This topic is 4896 days old. Please don't post here. Open a new topic instead.

Greetings,

I apologize if I posted this in the wrong forum.. couldn't determine the best choice.

I am wondering if anyone knows of any built in tools that would report Database Memory usage.

Right now I have a database that is about 3GB.

I have determine that about 1.3 GB are images that users have added. I plan to go through the images and shrink them to more "web size" levels to shrink the database size down.

But I am still curious what is causing the mass inflation of my database. I do have lots of records, but still, I feel some users have been adding things rampantly that aren't following my size guidelines... (PDF's, excel documents, word files, images...etc)

Is there anyway to do some reporting to determine these culprits without going through the database one by one and looking for it.

I typically have to rely on users letting me know when something hangs on a record.. I investigate, and find someone has put a 50 MB PDF or something else into a container.

Thanks!

Any suggestions are welcome.

Is there anyway to do some reporting to determine these culprits without going through the database one by one and looking for it.

I typically have to rely on users letting me know when something hangs on a record.. I investigate, and find someone has put a 50 MB PDF or something else into a container.

If you have a Container field called theContainer, Create a new Calculation field to be:

Length(theContainer)

This will give you the size in bytes of the embedded data stored in the container and adding to your database file size. If the data is externally referenced, the Length() will be zero.

Put this calculated field on a layout and search for values greater than your size threshold.

This topic is 4896 days old. Please don't post here. Open a new topic instead.