Server Maintenance This Week. ×

Word macro for Filemaker 4.1

This topic is 8584 days old. Please don't post here. Open a new topic instead.

• Newbies

Okay, so I'm clueless. We're using Filemaker Pro 4.1, and we need a macro for Word so we can use "style tags" when we export our Filemaker records and get the formatting back. I know Word automatically comes with the ability to do *Bold* and _italics_, but we use more styles than that for our business. I just don't know how to write the script, and we need this badly. Can anyone help us.

Thanks

Typically, when data is "exported" from a database it is completely free of any formatting. It is just the "data" in ASCII text. I don't know the "official" reason for this but I'd guess that it has an historical basis (most computing was originally text-based and formatting was irrelevant) and remains so for compatibility reasons.

If the data exported out of the database is plain text without formatting I don't know how a Word macro would help. Unless the formatting was relativley simple (like the entire contents of a field is always bold) then the job will be difficult to program for because the algorithm will be complex.

Perhaps if you explain your situation a bit more...

It sounds like you had better talk to the employee who wrote the Word macro and get them to explain it, becuase it sounds pretty groovy.

I could guess that this person has made a Word macro that looks for the codes within a text field and then process the text between the codes, applying formatting as necessary. Three things:

What codes are used and what formatting do they refer to?

How do the codes get into the text field in the FMP database?

How does the macro process them?

These are only questions that the macro-maker person can explain because it is a pretty unique solution.

This topic is 8584 days old. Please don't post here. Open a new topic instead.