Newbie help-FM 4.0 and Portals

This topic is 8476 days old. Please don't post here. Open a new topic instead.

• Newbies

OK, I need to publish a FM 4.0 database to the web. The basic structure of the database is four files with a very straight forward relationship. File one to two, two to three, three to four. Every layout uses a portal. The lines in the portal open up a new layout in the related file with a portal to the next file down the list.

Now, I would like to be able to click on the line in the portal and have it open up the linked file in the next layout using a web interface. Is this easy, or difficult?

Thanks

Relatively easy. You have four files db1, db2,db3,and db4 (I'm using shorthand here). Your client has gained entry through your default.htm and is viewing db1.htm. Your portal is named port. You are displaying two of the fields from a portal in db1 which are named title and artist. You are pointing at a layout in db2 named web (which is devoted to your browser solution). You wish to link using the title displayed on db1.htm to a related record in db2 which record has the desired portal to display on your format file db2.htm.

From db1.htm

<p><center>

<table border="0">

<tr><td>

[fmp-portal: port] <a href="[fmp-linkrecid: format=db2.htm, layout=web]">[fmp-field: port::title]</a>  [fmp-field: port::artist]<br>[/fmp-portal]

</td></tr>

</table>

</p></center>

You need to include the <br> to display all the rows as rows.

• Newbies

Ok, I attempted to create the file per your instructions. I will say that it works really well for the first layer. But, I can't seem to get it to link to the second database. Here is the code I used. Obviously, I haven't fancied it up yet!

<html><HEAD>

<TITLE>Student Listing</TITLE>

</HEAD>

<BODY BGCOLOR="#FFFFFF">

Today's Date: [FMP-CurrentDate]<BR>

<BR>

<FONT SIZE="7"><TABLE BORDER="1" CELLSPACING="2" CELLPADDING="1" ><TD>[FMP-Field: CSRId]</TD><TD> [FMP-Field: FullName]</TD></TABLE></FONT>

<p>

Click on the link on the left to bring up that student's record<BR>

<p>

<table border="0"><TR><TD WIDTH="100" >Student ID</TD><TD WIDTH="150">Name</TD><TD width="125">Phone Number</TD><TD WIDTH="100" >Last Access</TD></TR></table>

[fmp-portal: StudentInformation]<TABLE BORDER="0"><tr><td WIDTH="100" ><a href="[FMP-linkrecid: format=db2.html, layout=RegisteredCourses]">[fmp-field: StudentInformation::StudId]</a></td><TD WIDTH="150" > [fmp-field: StudentInformation::SFirstName] [fmp-field: StudentInformation::SLastName]</TD><td WIDTH="125" >[fmp-field: StudentInformation::SPhone]</TD><td WIDTH="100" >[fmp-field: StudentInformation::SLastAccess]</td></tr>[/FMP-portal]</TABLE>

I get all of the correct information returned in the db1.html page. But, the link created doesn't appear correct to me. Here it is.

<a href="FMPro?-db=customersupportreps.fp3&-format=db2.html&-lay=registeredcourses&CSRid=1000&-max=2147483647&-recid=1&-find=">10008</a>

When I click on the link I get this error message

Unable to process your request because the layout "registeredcourses" could not be accessed.

Click the Back button on your browser to return to the view you were working on.

I noticed in the returned link that the DB is my DB1. Should this be DB2? Any clues as to what I'm doing wrong?

I sure would appreciate your help.

Thanks

Steve

This topic is 8476 days old. Please don't post here. Open a new topic instead.