Scdelete

This topic is 4567 days old. Please don't post here. Open a new topic instead.

OK- I'm a relatively accomplished FM developer, but just implementing my first SuperContainer solution. I am pretty embarrassed to say, that I'm a little stumped as to how I can have SC remove files from its structure.

I have been able to set up unique paths for each solution, add, update images, get files names (SCGetInfo) etc. But I'd like to make sure that SC is cleaning up after itself nicely as records are deleted (via FM scripts), but for the life of me, I can't figure out how to make SCDelete work. I haven't done a lot with External Functions - I'm good with making them be a part of calculations, but this one in particular, feels like it wants to be an actual function, not a part of a calculation, and because of that, I'm stumped. Can someone please lend a little guidance to a confused developer?

Similarly, our main FMServer is a Windows box. So, I know that without the CoreImage technology (of the Mac OS) PDFs and other file formats are left out. I set up a developing environment that is a Mac-based FMServer, hoping I could find a way to have a FMServer that would generate SuperContainer previews of PDFs that everyone could use. Any time I try to use SC in either mode (server or standalone app), I haven't been able to make it work.

Ultimately, I'd love to have a FMServer served solution, that can catalog PDFs and other formats (EPS, AI, TIF, etc.) and allow both Windows and Mac client users to see the previews.

Am I missing something in the setup? The documentation is relatively confusing as to what works in which setup. The docs I think rely on some level of understanding, that even as an experienced developer, I'm clearly not grasping. I understand that there are two ways to deploy SuperContainer on a server, but can't make them work (one at a time, I know they don't run together) or in any setup that would allow Filemaker Server to host a file that can make advanced previews of PDF files for any client user. Any help is greatly appreciated.

eric

Call SCDelete with the same path you are using for SCGetInfo. A good way to make sure a SuperContainer Document is deleted when a record is deleted is to make your own Delete script step which performs the delete function before deleting the record (so you still have the correct path when you call SCDelete). If you want to continue to use the menu bar delete button you can use a custom menu to change the functionality of that button to perform your custom delete script.

• 10 months later...

BCooney--

This is not possible without using our SuperContainer plugin unless the user manually navigates to the file on the machine/server that is hosting the files and deletes them.

Hope this answers your question. If you have any additional questions do not hesitate to contact me.

This topic is 4567 days old. Please don't post here. Open a new topic instead.