Repeating Fields - Or - Hoping to avoid a mistake..

This topic is 4846 days old. Please don't post here. Open a new topic instead.

I've heard time and time again - avoid a repeating field like the plauge.

But - I'm thinking of using one. Tell me - is this a mistake?

The basics: Each time someone in our office prints a letter, I would like to store the date of that event. I have a seperate file to track the creation of the letter, and the letter type, and the letter will have the current date referenced when printed. The letters will be printed from a script, not straight from the print button.

Suggestions on how and where to store a date, each time the letter is printed?

I've heard time and time again - avoid a repeating field like the plauge.

There is no reason to avoid repeating fields; however, there is every reason to avoid them when they are not appropriate. For example: how many repetitions will your repeating field have? And what will you do when the letter is printed more times than that?

Suggestions on how and where to store a date, each time the letter is printed?

It depends on why do you need to store the dates. The simplest way would be to keep them as a return-separated list in a text field. The disadvantage here is losing the Date data type. If that's important, use a related table where each printout will be a record.

There is no reason to avoid repeating fields; however, there is every reason to avoid them when they are not appropriate. For example: how many repetitions will your repeating field have? And what will you do when the letter is printed more times than that?

It depends on why do you need to store the dates. The simplest way would be to keep them as a return-separated list in a text field. The disadvantage here is losing the Date data type. If that's important, use a related table where each printout will be a record.

I think I answsered my own question, and had it confirmed by comment. I created a new related table, and create a new record each time the letter is printed. I can track date, time, user name, type of letter, etc now.

Thanks, Comment...

This topic is 4846 days old. Please don't post here. Open a new topic instead.