Server Maintenance This Week. ×

Date field hick-up

Mike CPB

This topic is 4838 days old. Please don't post here. Open a new topic instead.

Date field that user set's with drop down calender.

For the new year the client has asked for me to clear previous entries in this field.

But when the user went to create a value filemaker some how remembered the previous entry (if there was one). Being that all entry's were from last year going through the extra clicks to set a new date is not necessary.

To clear the records I did replace field contents with ""

Perhaps that was not the proper way to clear the previous records.

Anyhelp with this glitch would be great.

For the new year the client has asked for me to clear previous entries in this field.

But when the user went to create a value filemaker some how remembered the previous entry (if there was one). Being that all entry's were from last year going through the extra clicks to set a new date is not necessary.

Replace should have been fine.

I am concerned that you are deleting data. It is very unusual and speaks of poor design that a field is cleared across records. Perhaps this suggests the need for a child table and a calculated status?

"For the new year the client has asked for me to clear previous entries in this field."

This is needless and not advisable. Since records can be found and/or sorted or summarized by year (or anything else), deleting records serves no purpose. Your client is missing a crucial point. Relational DB can maintain a history going back or forward as long as you wish without any negative consequences. Deleting records erases history. Educate the client! Of course I'm assuming your schema works properly.

RW

This topic is 4838 days old. Please don't post here. Open a new topic instead.