Server Maintenance This Week. ×

PDF pages

fed

This topic is 4805 days old. Please don't post here. Open a new topic instead.

I have placed a pdf in a container and use it in the background of a layout. This way, I can print out the pdf with my database fields populating various components of the pdf. It seems to be working well, but only the first page of the pdf is accessible. Is there a way to access the other pages of the pdf?

Thank you,

Fed

@Vincent - Why a global container? Given the idea that he's laying fields on top of the form, I would think he'll never swap out the background.

@Fed - Why not just generate the entire document from FM? You could use text on the layouts and merge fields.

I have placed a pdf in a container and use it in the background of a layout. This way, I can print out the pdf with my database fields populating various components of the pdf. It seems to be working well, but only the first page of the pdf is accessible. Is there a way to access the other pages of the pdf?

Thank you,

Fed

Each page of the PDF will have to placed on a page of the layout.

@Fed - Why not just generate the entire document from FM? You could use text on the layouts and merge fields.

Most likely because the text fields need to align with the content of the PDF pages.

Each page of the PDF will have to placed on a page of the layout.

The PDF is locked, so I cannot extract individual pages. Otherwise that is what I would do.

Most likely because the text fields need to align with the content of the PDF pages.

That is correct.

I am using a global field, actually, for other reasons (so I can access it easily).

Is there no way to display anything but the first page of the PDF? I tried expanding the container field on the layout to 4 pages, but that does not seem to work.

CAMH referral form.pdf

I use a Mac, and am using the current version of both FMP11 advanced and OSX.

I hope you can help.

The PDF is attached.

Hi Fed

I just opened your file in preview, turned on show thumbnails and dragged each thumbnail into a global container that seems to be what you want, I used Mac OS 10.5.8 and FM 10.0.3

I know that this behaviour changed slightly with OS 10.6 and FM 11 but I haven't tested it yet so I can't say.

Vincent

Again, why isn't this printing from FM? Why not recreate the form in FM?

That would be way too much work for a form that changes frequently.

There is nothing locked in the PDF - you have full privileges. Breaking it into individual pages is ridiculously simple in the Preview application.

As mentioned - just drag thumbnails to layout.

CAMH.fp7.zip

I saw no thumbnails, as I would normally, in preview. I only saw text where the thumbnails should have been.

Since you suggested this so intently, I worked with it, and found a way to show the thumbnails, and now it works just fine.

Sorry about that. I just noticed the egg on my face...

In the process of trying to figure this out, I came across another idea: Using a web viewer to access the PDF from the hard drive. This would help in keeping the size of the database smaller.

It seems to work great.

Thanks again,

Fed

Not sure why your web viewer won't print, but it's not a good idea anyway - because the web viewer will always be in front of your fields.

To keep the file size down, insert the picture onto the layout as reference only.

Another oversight on my part. I had to click off "Hide when printing".

You are right. I cannot seem to place the fields in front of the webviewer.

Thanks for the suggestion, but how do I insert the PDF onto the layout as reference only?

Not sure why your web viewer won't print, but it's not a good idea anyway - because the web viewer will always be in front of your fields.

To keep the file size down, insert the picture onto the layout as reference only.

Assuming this won't be used on Server.

It's an option you'll see when you choose Insert > Picture…

Great! Thanks a lot!

Do you happen to know if there is a way to move fields around using scripts?

Again, why isn't this printing from FM? Why not recreate the form in FM?

Maybe I didn't understand your suggestion. Is there an easy way to copy an existing PDF and then generate it in FMp, or would I have to rewrite the entire PDF myself?

You'd "rewrite" it. I really don't see what you are "saving" by placing a PDF in the background, especially since you said it'll change frequently (needing to "move" fields).

If you are not the creator of this form, perhaps you can ask them for an Acrobat form and not do this at all in FM.

IIUC, there are different forms for different occasions.

There are 8 forms I use. One changes frequently.

The purpose of using FMp is to automate the form filling process. To date, the secretary has been filling them out by hand.

There is nothing locked in the PDF - you have full privileges. Breaking it into individual pages is ridiculously simple in the Preview application.

This form appears to be locked. I cannot extract the pages. I hope there is an easy way that I am just not seeing.

Is there a way to display all the pages of a PDF on a layout?

Thanks again,

Fed

Form 1.pdf

This form is fillable. I suggest you you print it to PDF first. Then open the "printed" copy, select the icon of the first page and do Edit > Copy, File > New From Clipboard. Save this as page 1, and do the same for the rest of the pages.

This topic is 4805 days old. Please don't post here. Open a new topic instead.