Cartisian Join. Is there a better way.

This topic is 4782 days old. Please don't post here. Open a new topic instead.

I am running OSX 11 03 ADV

The problem is simple. The solution, " maybe not so much."

I have 2 tables: Members and Candidates.

On the members layout (based on Members of course) I have the usual member information.

To the left of the main Member information area I put a tall, thin, portal that is, via a Cartesian join, related to Members. That Members portal has a GTRR function that, when clicked takes me to the clicked detail information on the main Members area of the layout. THIS WORKS GREAT! (SEE BELOW)

When a person joins our group, they are a candidate for membership. This is reflected in a field named MEM_CAN as a popup choice of "Member" or "Candidate". There may be 15, +- candidates at any one time. Most become members. Some don't.

Problem: I would like to have the same Cartesian join portal field on the left show, via a button, just the candidates. (see 504.jpg below) I tried to "FIND" MEMBERS::MEM_CAN= "Candidate" field, but that just resulted in the main Members fields being 'found'. The Cartesian portal list stayed fully populated with all records.

There doesn't seem to be a way to select via a script, in the Cartesian join portal, just "Candidate" records. (I know I can 'hard wire' the relationship to show "Candidates" or "Members" but I need to be able to push a button to select either one).

As usual, your thoughts are appreciated.

ishot-504.jpg

I have 2 tables: Members and Candidates.

This doesn't fit with the rest of your description. Assuming they are in the same table, you can either filter your portal or change the relationship to:

Contacts::gStatus = Contacts 2::Status

Set the global field gStatus to either "Member" or "Candidate" as desired.

This doesn't fit with the rest of your description. Assuming they are in the same table, you can either filter your portal or change the relationship to:

Contacts::gStatus = Contacts 2::Status

Set the global field gStatus to either "Member" or "Candidate" as desired.

You are right. I changed the paradigm from 2 tables to 1 table with a 'status' field indicating "Member" or "Candidate". I will implement your relationship change and see what happens... thanks

You are right. I changed the paradigm from 2 tables to 1 table with a 'status' field indicating "Member" or "Candidate". I will implement your relationship change and see what happens... thanks

I tried changing the relationship as below. Didn't work. I think I don't 'have' the understanding of how the global field works with the Cartesian join. (I suspect it is used to filter the join. But, this is counter intuitive to the definition of ALL records being included in a Cartesian join???)

I would like to be able to select from gMem_Can either Member or Candidate and have the Members_Portal (Members TO) show just that 'class' of members.

Thanks for looking.... :)

ishot-509.jpg

ishot-506.jpg

ishot-508.jpg

Thank you! That works like it should. Fantastic.

One more question: "I changed the g_Mem_Can field to include: "Member", "Candidate", "All" and the "All" doesn't work. I can't get my mind around how to get the portal to show both Members and Candidates? Got any insights? Thanks again. ron

This topic is 4782 days old. Please don't post here. Open a new topic instead.