importing MySQL via mysqldump

This topic is 4768 days old. Please don't post here. Open a new topic instead.

FMP 9 on OSX

We have a situation where a FreeBSD-based MySQL 5 system generates data; we would like to then import that data into a FMP system.

Now, we've read of the ODBC route, but for security reasons, the MySQL host will not accept queries from outside; we would need to tunnel over SSH or similar.

We do cron a nightly mysql dump. We could easily scp that file to the FHP host system. Is there any tool to read the data in such a mysql dump, and import it into the FHP system? Or another {unix-based, as the MySQL is..} tool that reads the MySQL and creates a file that FMP can then read?

I was asked why we don't use ESS approaches.

If I understand correctly {always a dubious assumption...}, ESS is realtime, requiring FMP to be able to query the isolated MySQL server. That gets us into the ssh tunnel issue.

Further, we would have to migrate from FMP 9 to 10. Is 10 even available{1}? Our FM programmer advised against 11 because "they changed the user interface and your users will get freaked.." [Likely true. Besides, we have multiple Mac PPC users, and I think 11 is Intel-only.]

Plus there's the speed issue; she has told us the ODBC will be slow; will ESS be faster? The MySQL server is fast but there are many milliseconds between it and the FMP box.

{1: I'd love to find a copy of FM 10 Server to buy.}

I think you are mixing up the versions: ESS was introduced in version 9. The status area has been redesigned in version 10 - if that's what's supposed to get your users freaked.

We could easily scp that file to the FHP host system. Is there any tool to read the data in such a mysql dump, and import it into the FHP system?

I am not sure what "scp" or "FHP" mean. Couldn't you export your data in one of the standard plain-text formats?

This seems to be a parallel thread to:

http://fmforums.com/forum/topic/77026-using-mysqldump-to-import-mysql/page__pid__361875

MY FUBAR; I posted there initially before I realized it was a Legacy area. I could not see a way to delete it.

And "FHP" is shorthand for "I can't type FMP without getting it wrong..."

"scp" is the standard unix secure copy program. We use cron to create a new mysqldump file every night.

We then scp it to offsite archives.

I would like to find a utility that would read data from the dump and load it into FMP.

Or is there is another unix utility that dumps mysql in a form that does FMP like?

We've tried a CSV export with PHPMyAdmin, and that's not just hardly scriptable, but it also fails on some of the text fields;

clearly an embedded delimiter issue. It is not an issue within MySQL so I'd rather improve the export than alter the working database.

is there is another unix utility that dumps mysql in a form that does FMP like?

I know very little about Unix and MySQL, but a quick Google search found:

http://dev.mysql.com/tech-resources/articles/xml-in-mysql5.1-6.0.html

Fileemaker can import XML, provided it's either in its own FMPXMLRESULT grammar, or a suitable XSL transformation stylesheet is available. I would presume that the transformation can also be easily automated on the source side.

This topic is 4768 days old. Please don't post here. Open a new topic instead.