Server Maintenance This Week. ×

database snyc problem

This topic is 8476 days old. Please don't post here. Open a new topic instead.

• Newbies

Hi all,

I have been reading the website and it looks as though this program can help me out. My problem is this.

I have a database online so that my webpages interact with it and it displays the correct information from the database. It allows people to make changes and stuff.

I also have a database on my machine, the same database that a program on my machine interacts with.

I want to be able to sync them, or something like that so there is current information in both.

Is this the program I am looking for?

Can someone help.....thanks

I take it that by "this program" you mean FileMaker Pro. No program is a universal solution to the synchronization problem. Synchronization means different things to different people. If two partners take a copy of a database in the morning and each make an different address change to the record for Acme Widgets, which revised record is correct? Their secretary doesn't know, the partners may not be sure upon comparing notes. The point is there is no universal solution to synchronization! Any program that promises one is just engaging in marketing, not reality.

Having said that, what you call synchronization may be possible to implement in software. So, the next question is: What type of synchronization do you need?

-bd

quote:

Originally posted by LiveOak:

I take it that by "this program" you mean FileMaker Pro. No program is a universal solution to the synchronization problem. Synchronization means different things to different people. If two partners take a copy of a database in the morning and each make an different address change to the record for Acme Widgets, which revised record is correct? Their secretary doesn't know, the partners may not be sure upon comparing notes. The point is there is no universal solution to synchronization! Any program that promises one is just engaging in marketing, not reality.

Having said that, what you call synchronization may be possible to implement in software. So, the next question is: What type of synchronization do you need?

Another question is why do you think that you need 2 seperate databases?

------------------

=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=

Kurt Knippel

Consultant

Database Resources

mailto:[email protected]

http://www.database-resources.com

=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=

This topic is 8476 days old. Please don't post here. Open a new topic instead.