Bundled Runtime Problem on Windows

This topic is 4594 days old. Please don't post here. Open a new topic instead.

I have a runtime solution created in FMP 11 on Windows XP and on Windows 7. I am using VM Ware Fusion on a Mac. I then bundled the runtime using Inno Setup 5. The file (and consequently, the runtime) is set to open with an account name of "User" with limited access.

The setup bundle created on XP works fine. When I install that app it opens with the User account/privilege set as expected. However, when I create the bundle on Windows 7 it opens as a read only. I thought maybe it was opening the Guest account rather than the User account, so I changed the Guest account to have the same privileges as User. However, that did not work. When I open the app on Windows 7 it opens only as a read only. I tried another installer program - Setup Factory by the Indigo Rose Corporation (trial version) but the result was the same, namely, the Windows 7 runtime app opens as a read only.

The runtime itself on Windows 7 - before being bundled with either Inno Setup or Setup Factory - works as expected. It is only after all the files are bundled that the problem occurs.

Just to clarify, the runtime for the XP version was created in FMP11 on XP and the runtime for Windows 7 was created in FMP 11 on Windows 7 (that is, I did not copy the files from one OS to the other).

Any thoughts?

Thanks, Vaughan.

All of the files have read, write, execute privileges (Properties/Security). However, the directories are marked as "Read-only" (Properties/General). This is somewhat confusing to me because in the directory Properties/Security it looks like it has read, write, and execute privileges. Nonetheless, I deselected the Read-only on the Properties/General tab, then clicked Apply, then confirmed the change, then clicked OK. However, when I click the Properties of that same directory the Read-only box is once again selected. It appears to ignore my change.

Any ideas?

Problem fixed. Bob Patin wrote a solution on the CampSoftware blog site but I did not understand. I thought I had to go into the Command Prompt to change something. However, the solution goes in the Inno Setup Compiler, not the Windows Command Prompt.

Thanks for your help.

• 5 months later...

I've got exactly the same problem! FileMaker 11 runtime, created under XP, working fine, installer with Setup Factory, and under Vista / 7 there is a problem when users install, the files are read only (when users open the system, they can't enter a new record and so forth.) This is installed directly to the Program Files folder, which I understand is a protected folder under Vista and is causing the issue.

So even though the user account has read/write access to the hard disc, and uses the UAC password/permission for installation afterwards the files in the new folder within Program files are read-only (which is useless!).

Other than installing to another location, is there any other way to overcome this.

Any pointers would be very useful. Thanks in advance.

This topic is 4594 days old. Please don't post here. Open a new topic instead.