Server Maintenance This Week. ×

Thinking too hard?

Bob Kerr

This topic is 4778 days old. Please don't post here. Open a new topic instead.

Hello,

I did try to search, but I could not find what I am looking for, perhaps I am giving it the wrong name.

Example:

Lets call the main table STUDENTS. Within this table are all students that attend the school, past and present.

If the students have a housing assignment, they are considered active, if they do not they are considered inactive.

I am attempting to make Table Occurance that only contains active students.

I have designated a field in the student table that is a flag, if there is a value in the housing assignment, the flag reads "Active" if there is not, "Inactive".

I made two auto-enter calculation fields, each one containing the word Active and the other Inactive.

I made a TO called STUDENTS|Active and STUDENTS|Inactive and in each one made the respected constant field equal to the flag field, but when I make a layout with the Active or Inactive TO, it still shows all records.

Any help is appreciated,

Bob

A table occurrence is exactly what is says: an occurrence of the same table - with the same fields and the same records. A layout based on any occurrence of a table can show all records of the table - and will do so unless you perform a find.

You could set script triggers to a layout to automatically omit active/inactive records.

Alternatively, you could use portals to display the records instead of dedicated layouts.

Edited by comment

Hello,

I did try to search, but I could not find what I am looking for, perhaps I am giving it the wrong name.

Example:

Lets call the main table STUDENTS. Within this table are all students that attend the school, past and present.

If the students have a housing assignment, they are considered active, if they do not they are considered inactive.

I have designated a field in the student table that is a flag, if there is a value in the housing assignment, the flag reads "Active" if there is not, "Inactive".

I made two auto-enter calculation fields, each one containing the word Active and the other Inactive.

I made a TO called STUDENTS|Active and STUDENTS|Inactive and in each one made the respected constant field equal to the flag field, but when I make a layout with the Active or Inactive TO, it still shows all records.

Any help is appreciated,

Bob

Hi,

If you get an example, could I have a look at it? I am trying to develop something similar for Scout Troop and I thought I had if figured out, but I didn't.

I have searched the Internet but cant find a sample solution.

Thanks,

B.H.

Does the attached help you get started?

I believe this will get me going in the right direction. Thank you for posting this.

Can you recommend a good book for a beginner, I went to the book store but there are about 15 or 20 FileMaker books there and I just had no idea which one to get.

B.H.

This topic is 4778 days old. Please don't post here. Open a new topic instead.