Bar code generator and scanner

This topic is 4556 days old. Please don't post here. Open a new topic instead.

Hi,

I am trying to create the bar code using file maker. I try with IDAutomation plugin demo version. but, I just get the encoded value in the edit box. How to use this plug-in to get the bar code image. Is there any other plug-ins available for barcode generator and scanner.

Can we give the image input into the filemaker without scanner? I just need for learning purpose.

Thanks

Best Regards,

Murali.

Hi, Murali:

By chance, do you have the appropriate barcode font selected for the field(s) you want to scan into? Are you using a Mac or PC? (I see you're using XP, but I don't know if that's the machine you're using for barcoding.)

An easy way to start with bar codes would be to use a free font. There are code39 or 3 of 9 fonts available free and cross platform. Create a calc field (text) and concatenate your chosen field with an asterisk at the beginning and end. Place this field on your layout and choose the code39 font.

Hi, Murali:

By chance, do you have the appropriate barcode font selected for the field(s) you want to scan into? Are you using a Mac or PC? (I see you're using XP, but I don't know if that's the machine you're using for barcoding.)

Hi WF7A,

Thanks for your reply.

I am not having any scanner with me for test the barcode is getting correct value. Is there any other way to give the input to my PC.

An easy way to start with bar codes would be to use a free font. There are code39 or 3 of 9 fonts available free and cross platform. Create a calc field (text) and concatenate your chosen field with an asterisk at the beginning and end. Place this field on your layout and choose the code39 font.

Hi RodSierra,

The code39 font is working nice. Thanks for your reply.

It is working as a font. If i get printout this font to image. How I test this image? Is there any chance for test this barcode image witout using the scanners?.

• 2 months later...

anyhow after integrating it, i cant find the font type to change to code 39... anyidea.. i know that truetype font is only support on filemaker 7 and above on windows and after installing it on windows, i still cant find it on my filemaker pro 9.

• 1 month later...

In the Inspector ( View - > Inspector ) , using the appearance tab - > 'text' column Font type will be mentioned in the dropdown.

In the drop down, click ' configure / More fonts ' option. The popup window shows the fonts you installed. From that you can select the code 39 fonts.

• 4 weeks later...

I've been trying to figure out a free solution to this problem for a couple weeks now (okay, so maybe I'm exaggerating slightly) and haven't been able to find anything this simple anywhere. Thank you. Adding that calc field, installing the font, and having a printable barcode takes literally two minutes or less. I knew there had to be an easier way.

If linear barcodes and space aren’t an issue then the 3 of 9 font is a great solution that requires little programming. The problem is install the font on client systems. You can use http://www.360works.com/scriptmaster/ and the Java code that we wrote to generate all kinds of barcodes…and it is free. They also have a autoupdate script that makes distribution a breeze. I would recommend that.

Maybe I spoke too soon.

While the 3 of 9 font works great on PCs, it doesn't seem to work on Macs. Interestingly, if I open up a document on a Mac I am able to create a barcode fine, but not so much within Filemaker. It just reverts to normal text.

Any ideas?

Here is a 3 of 9 font that works on both make and PC just fine.

That's one of the ones I've tried, actually. It works just fine on either OS, it just doesn't work within Filemaker on a Mac. I attempted to use the IDAutomation plug-in, but it doesn't seem compatible -- my guess is it only works with their specific fonts.

It's not free, but the 6Barcode plugin works well, is reasonably priced and simple to use. Output is a PNG so it doesn't require any fonts but Code 128 only, though.

http://sixfriedrice.com/wp/products/6barcode/

A satisfied user,

This topic is 4556 days old. Please don't post here. Open a new topic instead.