Server Maintenance This Week. ×

Emailing from server

timmy

This topic is 8292 days old. Please don't post here. Open a new topic instead.

Here's the situation: I have a Windows NT Server machine running in the office, hosting a FM Database. People in the office connect to this database using FileMaker (not via the web) and make changes, add records etc., I would like for them to be able to execute a script to send mail, however, i want the mail to be sent from the server, not their individual computers. The server is configured correctly to send mail, when i execute the script from it, it works perfectly. However, when people execute the script from their computers, it tries to send the email from their computers. You dig? Is there any way to have the server send all email? Thanks,

tim.

The only way is to some-how mark the records that need to be sent as e-mail, then batch them up. At some pre-determined time, trigger a script on the server to perform the script.

The downside here is that the e-mails cannot be sent instantaneously, but are delayed.

The script on the server can't be run from within FM using FM Server (server version doesn't do scripts). The NT server would have to close out of FM Server and reopen the files needed in a normal copy of FM. A better alternative is to have a client machine in the server cabinet whose only purpose is to monitor the databases for emails to be sent and send them.

-bd

LiveOak - I'm not running FM Server, i'm running FM Unlimited on a Server. So it executes the script fine. Could you elaborate on this "client machine in the server cabinet whose only purpose is to monitor the databases for emails to be sent and send them."

Vaughn - That is a good idea, but I need the mail to be sent immediatly. I dont suppose I could mark the records that need to be sent, and then execute a separate script to batch and send them from the server. but access the script from a remote machine? I think i'm working in circles here.

Anyone have any other ideas?

If you are running FM Unlimited, you should be able to trigger a script (either from the user or on a timed basis) to send marked records as emails. I would use an email plug-in, rather than the build-in features, as you won't need a separate email application. The separate server is only needed if you are running FM Server, which won't run Scriptmaker scripts.

-bd

okay, i think maybe i'm not being very clear. i can trigger the email script from a remote machine. however, this email script tries to send email from that remote machine. i dont want that to happen. i want the script to trigger email to be sent from the server. will an email plugin accomplish this?

My comments were all regarding the FM Unlimited machine. With a web browser interface, you should be able to trigger a script on the FM Unlimited machine to send email from that machine. Using a FM-FM connection you will need to mark the records to be emailed and have a script running on the FM Unlimited machine test on time with a plug-in or loop and test for new messages to be sent. This email script can be made to only run on the FM Unlimited machine at startup by testing Status(CurrentMultiUserStatus). The mail plug-in need only be installed on the FM Unlimited machine.

-bd

Let me cut the crap (technical term): it can be done, but it's difficult and a pain in the arse to do. (You haven't said why you want to do it from the server: if it were me, it'd be reconsidering at this point and looking at ways to work around the problem from the guest machines.)

Using a web interface, the users will have to somehow mark the records in the FMP client, then open their web browser and conenct into a web page that directs Web Companion to perform the script on the server. Perhaps a script using the Open URL script could partially automate the process for the clients.

As you can see it's not elegant, rather complicated in a Rube Goldberg kinda way, and it also opens a security hole unless you have Web Security databases set up tightly.

the main reason i dont want the email to come from each clients computer is because that means eudora needs to be installed and configured on every single machine. much more hastle than this feature is worth. but you are right, the option you just laid out isn't exactly feasible either. anyone know of any plugins that could be used to get around this?

This topic is 8292 days old. Please don't post here. Open a new topic instead.