emailing 5.5 / Entourage

slimjimbutler

This topic is 8190 days old. Please don't post here. Open a new topic instead.

Hi,

I have a simple db for an email shot. I have a field for the body of the text which allows me to put a personalised greeting at the top, i.e.

"Dear" & Firstname & "please check out our website"

However, when I execute the script, Filemaker generates only one email, with multiple recipients, so they all get a mail saying Dear Geoff (or whatever the firstname of the first record is), rather than the firstname of each record

What I'd like is Filemaker to produce one email per record. Is this possible?

using FM 5.5 / Entourage / mac OS 9.1

cheers

James

yes I agree that there is a bandwidth advantage to sending just one body email to the server but there are a number of disadvantages, well for me at least. You can't add a personalised greeting. It will appear to be addressed to "Geoff Pedder and 99 other recipients" rather than to each recipient personally. Finally each recipient will see that the same mail has been sent out to multiple recipients (at mutliple companies, something I want to avoid).

This is our companies first ever attempt at a email shot, and most of the recipients know us personally, so I wanted to keep everything as personal and non-spam like as possible.

I understand these are not necessarily FM issues. I'm just dissapointed that I can't seem to do what I want to do from within FM.

I presume therefore I'm better off exporting the name and email fields and using a third party application to achieve what I want?

cheers

James

yes I agree that there is a bandwidth advantage to sending just one body email to the server but there are a number of disadvantages, well for me at least. You can't add a personalised greeting. It will appear to be addressed to "Geoff Pedder and 99 other recipients" rather than to each recipient personally. Finally each recipient will see that the same mail has been sent out to multiple recipients (at mutliple companies, something I want to avoid).

This is our companies first ever attempt at a email shot, and most of the recipients know us personally, so I wanted to keep everything as personal and non-spam like as possible.

I understand these are not necessarily FM issues. I'm just dissapointed that I can't seem to do what I want to do from within FM.

I presume therefore I'm better off exporting the name and email fields and using a third party application to achieve what I want?

cheers

James

This topic is 8190 days old. Please don't post here. Open a new topic instead.